Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:53:38 -0700
From:         Leslie Shiaman <lamusicamellama@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Need to replace rear hatch struts on '84 Westy & other stuff...

Greetings All -

I enjoy the list very much. I've owned my '84 Westy (78,000 mi., orig. motor) for 2 months and have enjoyed it, lived in it for a 7-week job stint in Calistoga, but not without a few problems. Here's one thing I'd like to attend to soon: rear hatch struts. Does anyone know how to do this job? I have few tools and little mechanical expertise, but willing to learn. Thanks.

Les Cellist & Owner of '84 Westy

For the other stuff:

1) Coolant drip from right cylinder head --- at the rear cylinder bolt. Service people at dealer gave me the news of death telling me to replace head. My mechanic said "no f**king way!!" (he's a good mechanic, really!). He sealed up the bolt and this reduced the drip, but it still appears much slower. Was the dealer correct? By the way I went to dealer in Napa to replace the green stuff from PO after perusing vanagon site warning about using phosphate coolant. I've got blue now.

2) Pilot bearing or throw-out bearing seems to be out. Can't disengage clutch. Made it home from Fort Bragg to Arcata in 2nd gear (a 150 mile trip). Had to force shift a few times and start in gear a few times...did I possibly ruin something in the process? I think this (bearing job) would be too big for me, any advice?

3) Since I am not currently driving it (checked out of my storage unit and transferred the goods to the westy..sadly, but they do make fine storage lockers) I do start the motor every week, but hearing a tapping noise now...is this ok? I have heard this is the hydraulic lifters which over time with motor running get fluid and noise goes away.

4) I noticed the parking brake stuck, so I spent a good deal of time forcing the van to move ( once in a while I can disengage the clutch)...is the brake sticking a common problem?

5) oh yeah, I naively put QMI (like slick 50) in and drove it for 500 or so miles until I read about ptfe(slick-50, qmi,etc) on the vanagon site and did another change to get that stuff out of there...sounds like a real scam those people run.. Hope I did no real damage with that junk. By the way my mechanic recommends using 20w-50 engine oil...I live on the foggy redwood coast. Temp here is 40-70 fahrenheit year-round. I know the engines run hot, so does this sound right?

Thanks,

Les

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.