Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:16:57 -0500
From:         Jennifer <ncc876@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: list closure

At 2:08 PM -0400 4/18/01, Karl Ploessl rearranged electrons to say:

>please no yahoo group as the 'permanent' list (as a backup I'll accept) but >I do not like to subscribe to one of these yahoo, e-bay, aol etc... lists!

Can you explain your objection? You don't want to get a Yahoo account? Don't like the service? It works just like this list -- emailed messages/digests/read-on-web/etc/ and I think you don't have to join Yahoo to get on the list ...

I've posted about this issue to the Yahoo list I'm on explaining our troubles and asking what people there think of spam on lists. Looks like I may be able to pass along some configure-listserver-to-dump-spam tips (the listadmin there used to use Majordomo).

>If I'm not mistaken, the Yahoo groups only will let >you post something if you're a member of the group. >This means a spammer has to join the group before sending >anything, which is more work than they want. One person >tried joining and spamming, and got flamed and bounced.

>Yes, by all means, I heartily recommend Egroups. I'm on a Pontiac lovers >mailing list, and created the PonchoRefugees list when the regular list went >down. Like JOHNR (take that!) said, spammers don't go through the trouble to >join an egroup list, and if you have a problem user, it is simplicity itself >to delete them.

>>If I'm not mistaken, the Yahoo groups only will let >>you post something if you're a member of the group.

>it's a group option. Some let anyone post without belonging. Similiar to a >'closed' list under listserv and majordomo. I know when I had the kk list >under majordomo on herdthinners.com, I had to jump through major hoops to >close all the spam holes - although, once done, it worked nicely. Yahoo group >configuration is much easier in that regard.

I also asked if you have to have a yahoo account to join a yahoogroups/egroups forum, but I do not think so. I will let you all know.

I think moving the entire list is a lot of work and doubt it will happen, but hey, can't hurt to check.

Waiting eagerly for those config tips... --

-----

Jennifer - ncc876@yahoo.com ... knee-deep in the hoopla ...