Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2001 01:19:56 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help ASAP, Stranded, Need clutch advise....
Comments: To: Mike Ray <Mike.Ray@MOTIENT.COM>

As a veteran VW owner most of my driving life, I'll offer this owner tested and approved shifting technique that wil get you around until you can fix the problem. this has come in handy on many a broken clutch cable and the failed slave cylinder on a BMW 2002 way back in 75.

Put the van in first gear and roll start it as you did. next, as you approach your shifting point simultaneously back off the throttle and pull the gearshift into neutral. then blip the throttle and as the rpms drop, ease the shifter into second gear Repeat for thrid and fourth if needed. the only problem is you can't down shift that way. if you need to down shift, roll to a stop and start over(after blipping the throttle and working the shifter in to nuetral of course!). Yes trhis is hard of the syncros, but judicious use of the llthrottle will get you close to home for the repair.

Dimwitted moose and Flying Squirrel. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Ray" <Mike.Ray@MOTIENT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2001 9:39 PM Subject: Help ASAP, Stranded, Need clutch advise....