Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:59:26 -0400
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Why the Delete Key is not enough!! PLEASE READ
Comments: To: John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>

John,

I have to comment on your obvious insensitivity or naivete regarding your comment:

>Its ridiculous to even consider a boss's attitude toward email when it >comes to running this list.

It has nothing to do with one's supervisor or one's manager...it has to do with a well established legal principal that there is no email privacy when your email goes through an employer's email system. There are court cases which have upheld an employer's right to terminate an employee as a result of misuse or abuse of company email.

Perhaps you are independently wealthy and don't have to worry about your job...or perhaps you don't use an email system at work. It is obvious that you do not have any idea as to what the true issues are, especially when you make your other comment:

>Maybe don't read the list when you are at work???

I read the list at work and at home. Perhaps you need a little lesson in how email works. Someone posts something to the vanagon list. The vanagon list then broadcasts this post to members of the list.

Some of these folks use an ISP (Internet Service Provider) and then download their mail to their own PCs. Folks who use an ISP have a guarantee of privacy, its in the ISP contract.

But some of us use employer-based email. In that case the vanagon list post goes to the employer's mail server or central system.That post sits on the central system or mail server until its is downloaded to the member's PC. However while the mail resides on the mail server it is subject to scrutiny by the employer, and in some instances if back up copies are made of the server or central system, copies of that email are stored in a more permanent fashion.

Am I a bit irritated by this? Do I have an "attitude"? You betcha! I've had the same email address for over 15 years, its a part of me, and I don't want to switch to my ISP to use their email address.

Second, I've been on this list for almost 10 years ago. Perhaps I am a bit nostalgic...but back then almost everyone on the list had email addresses that ended up with .edu; .org; .gov; and a few .com's to boot....bottom line not only were we vanagon owners, but we were techies...we were well versed in the fine art of computing and the infant world of email and internet. Issues like spam were taken seriously back then...but ahhh I digress.....

Oh well...

Ric