Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:22:18 -0700
From:         john tomljenovic <zadar72@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      early morning, long winded, easter story

I have posted once earlier showing off my trailer hitch, I am new to the ownership of a westie. And have just subscribed to the list, so let me introduce myself...

My name is john tomljenovic, and have been a proud owner of a 83.5 westfalia camper in sage? green. Oh, yes I should also add in my girlfriend Tawnya, without her I would never have gone though with it. I blame her completely.

With what you say? Buying a vanagon! I could never have gone though it alone, Let alone find it. We live in evanston, which probably has the biggest concentration of vw busses in the chicago area, and so I am walking down chicago ave, going to meet up with tawnya who was getting her glasses in the south part of town. I usually don't walk this way but there is a vw dealership on the same street, and there she was...the camper silly! Just standing there in the showroom floor of all places. Well it must be a pretty good find if it is in the showroom I thought, so I went in and checked it out. It was in excellent shape, and had only like 25,000mi. I am like no way, the salesman shows me the records the PO had kept, this was for real. I always wanted to own a vw camper, But I was in no mood to spend the 10grand they were asking (although I new there was room for negotiaion, this dealer always asks high), so I left, in order to stay on for my date.

Me and the girl are walking back, and were passing the dealer again, I showed her the vanagon I found, and we got inside the bus, and even test drove it. Her face just lit up, and boy am I a sucker. She said it was my decision if we were to get it, so I thought about it for a day, read all I could on the subject (thanx vanagon.com!) and tried to determine the real value of this camper. I was still very indicisive And so developed this harebrained scheme...I just lowball my bid, 5k I think, if the dealer goes for it then it was meant to be, if not then I would be perfectly happy not aquiring a westie. Well would you know it, the sales manager accepted the offer(though after much pleading for a higher price) must have been the lousy november weather and being the only customer that day I think.

here is a pic of the new ride: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1631693&a=12475160&p=45919195

I never though I would have found my perfect camper at a dealership of all places, but anything is possible I guess. so now I own the dream and have no place to park it, the girl me and two cats have 650sqft of apartment, we couldn't find a closet big enough for the vanagon. I have been keeping and working on the camper at my parents house. I am still trying to figure out if I really got a good deal or not as I have spent about 2 grand getting this thing worthy for the inevitable cross country roadtrip .But I know I didn't get ripped off, fair is fair I guess.

Road trip? that is what has been generated from the purchase of this thing, at first the westie was going to just be the ultimate camping tent for our mountain bike races. But now has turned into my girl quitting her job, and me taking a month off mine so we can go cross country. moab, california, oregon, montana. is what has been loosely drawn up. We are leaving chicago on may 20 and going to alabama, from there west. I will still be keeping track of our email and reading/posting on the list, let you guys know when I break down?! mabye if there are any listers out there who are going that way we can hook up and caravan.

thanx for letting me eat up bandwith like this and happy easter.

johnny t (me) tawnya (girl) bandit (old cat) boo-radley (new cat) ???????? (the yet to be named bus)