Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:37:54 -0600
From:         john <jclark@PURPLEMOUNTAIN.NET>
Subject:      need recommendations for new shocks

I just replaced all four with Old Man Emu from ARB and am happy with them. Pricey tho.........

John 87 Syncro

Philip Jones <Tewinot@AOL.COM> wrote:

I am considering new shocks for my 91 Westy (185k miles), as the rear ones (original) are showing signs of leaking. Cornering and crosswind comfort are weak at best. I drive cross country every year, and several times have found myself having to pull off the road due to crosswind gusts, typically in South Dakota. So crosswind handling/safety are paramount to me. I also drive maybe 500 miles per year on a dirt road with notorious washboards and potholes, so I don't want too stiff a shock. Any recommendations as to brands for my type of driving? Do I even need to replace my shocks? I found one post in the archives that indicated Boge's can still be in good shape even after this many miles. I've heard elsewhere that vanagons never need to have the shocks replaced. Does anyone else drive under similar conditions? Any firsthand experience would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Philip