Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:20:49 -0700
From:         Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: rebuild or GEX ? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:13:05 -0700 From: Alan Ruffalo <aruffalo@sprynet.com> To: Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU> Subject: Re: Re: rebuild or GEX ?

I replaced every mechanical thing in my 88 Westy except the starter and the air conditioning compressor. I went with a brand new engine directly from VW. It came complete with heads installed and it only cost $2400.00 (no heads or engine core charge guarantee required which could have been as much as $300.00 more when you go with a rebuilt engine). My mechanic then replaced everything that could be replaced in and around the engine and it cost a total of $5900.00 including tax and labor. The new engine is really great except it must use a different oil dip stick (than the one from my old engine) that does not come with the new engine. The markings in the dip stick put too much oil in the engine. I have to keep the oil down at the bottom notch on the dipstick. any more than that and the engine spews smoke for some reason. If I try to fill the oil level up the top notch on the dipstick it takes almost 5 quarts. Also, my mechanic ordered a new dipstick because he said he lost or broke the old one. The point of this story is that I have a brand new engine for not much more than you would ultimately spend to buy a rebuilt engine. My 88 Westy runs like the day it rolled off the show room floor. If anyone out there knows the exact measurements of the correct oil dipstick for a new engine in an 88 Westy - I would sure like to have those measurements. I think the dipstick that I have is the wrong one. I would like to have the measurements from the bottom to the first notch. Then, the dimension to the second notch. Then the measurement to the stopper cup towards the top. I don't know for sure but, I think he put a new 2.1 Wasserboxer engine in it. I am not sure which engine that it came with originally. The new engine has lots of power. It has considerably more power than the old original engine.

Best regards,

Allan Ruffalo 88 Westy