Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:12:10 -0400
From:         John Tomljenovic <zadar72@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying New Battery Today: Advice?
Comments: To: Phaedra Savage <psavage@SABER.NET>

Keep in mind that 90% of the batteries out there are made by like three companies. So it doesn't matter much where you get one or whose name is on it, more than likley they came from the same plant. I have personally not found any advantage buying a premieum battery, the cheap ones last just as long. which is usually 4-5 years, if your small town has a wal-mart, go there, it will often be the cheapest.

have installed? can't do this yourself? or do you have no tools? you can do the battery replacement in the parking lot! all you must need is screw drivers and a 10mm socket and wrench. type 41-2 is the size I believe for the vanagon. last I remember it was a tight fit, I mean tight, no room for your fingers even. Had to cut up an old tiedown and use the strap as a handle to lower the battery in, after that things went together well.

if someone else does this, the only thing I can recommend is you make sure the battery tray is clean before the new battery goes in, most...no, all, shops will just slap in a new one and leave any dirt or acid in your tray for efficiency's sake. this is why you should do this your self. also make sure the positive terminal is well insulated (cover supplied with batt. must be installed on top) no shorting allowed! BTW the negative can be left bare as it is surrounded in it's own element (ground).

good luck, if you need step by step instructions on how to do this yourself, email me and save yourself 50 bucks.

johnny t