Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:39:22 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Help!  front main seal question
Comments: To: Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>

Hello,

I am replacing the front main seal (behind pulleys) on a 2.1L.

When doing this same job on a 1.9, I found a squarish washer (I was told this is an oil slinger?) and an "O" ring behind the oil seal. Though I could not find this O-ring in any of the Bently illustrations, I was assured that it did indeed belong there, so I replaced it with a new one.

When I removed the oil seal from the 2.1, I found the "oil slinger", but no O-ring. I have again scoured the Bently, and have once again not found an exploded view which included the O-ring.

My question: Should there be an O-ring behind the front seal, and if so, should it be in front of or behind the so-called oil slinger?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Karl Wolz