Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:10:58 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Help! Stripped trans oil filler plug!
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker17@earthlink.net>

On 15 Apr 2001, at 18:06, Joel Walker wrote:

> > 1. Drop the tranny so I can use even more brute force on the > (*#&$(#$ > > plug, perhaps destroying the entire newly rebuilt tranny in the > process. > > out of curiosity, how would that destroy the tranny? all it means is > that you'd have a lot of extra work ... but you'd gain a lot of easier > access to the plug.

Well, I figured if I'd buggered it up this much already, chances are I'd do something even worse if I could get a real big hammer on it...

> > 2. Find some other orifice through which I can pour my 3 litres of > > Amsoil synthetic, and try to forget about the horribly mangled plug, > as I > > should never have to drain it again. > > no other hole that i know of. :( the only way i know of to get it out > is to drill two holes into the plug, across from each other (and NOT > all the way through the plug! don't want metal shavings inside the > tranny), and put steel pins in the holes, then put a steel bar between > the pins and use that to rotate the plug. not easy at all, especially > with the tranny in the bus ... access is very limited under there.

So the shift selector shaft cover (with the reverse light wires on it) won't do the trick? It appears that it might from the Bentley, as it looks as if the shaft will pull right out through the side. I'm afraid of pulling the shaft unless I know it'll go back in though...

> i know it's a stupid suggestion at this point, but are you sure you > were turning the plug in the right direction? i really mangled an oil > filter once that way ... cause i was turning it the wrong direction. > just one of those days, i guess. :(

Well, I was turning counter clockwise, same as the drain plug. What really pisses me off is why this thing is so damned tight - the book calls for 14 ft-lb! I expect Autospiel would have done it, since they had it apart last.

I could try drilling holes, but I'm doubtful I could get enough leverage on two small pins - I had a two foot bar on the 17mm socket before it finally destroyed the hex pattern.

If I can't find out about the shaft from the list, maybe I'll call Autospiel and see what they say about pouring oil in the selector shaft hole...

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager Shawnigan Lake School swright@SLS.bc.ca http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright http://www.sls.bc.ca