Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:57:21 -0700
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon oil light question for you - dissection of the light
Comments: To: may1620@yahoo.com
Comments: cc: bostneng@fcl-us.net

I will try to answer this straight off and directly, with a following of etc-type stuff.

Alan, I found the short (in mar.'00 and Jan'01) about 12 inches from the attachment to the .3 bar sender. The wire ran toward the front of the van, up around the #3 cylinder, and back to the attachment in the wiring interface. The wire, I believe, is supposed to runaround the #4 cyl. I didn't realized this until after I replaced it the first time. On both occasions, the wire was grounding out on the sheet metal that covered the push rod tubes, under the head. You see, the sheet metal edges wore its way through the insulation. What took me a while to figure out was that my light wouldn't come on/ground-out until the engine became hot enough to "melt" the grease coating the exposed wire, and thus making the connection. The tell-tale is that the light flickers and/or doesn't necessarily "only" light up under the same conditions.

That said, I must re-hash the tale of recent. In dec. this blasted light decided to annoy me again. I figured, that having replaced the wiring to the oil pressure sender six months back, this time around, it must be real oil pressure woes. Right? Who knows, since it's now mid april, and after spending close to two grand, I'm still in the dark about the whole damn mess.

But I have a theory... My solution the second time around was to buy a VDO oil pressure gauge. Of course, while installing it, I found the grounding-out wire. I should have just mailed the gauge set-up back to the depot, but instead I wanted to "improve" the vanagon. Well, the gauge tells me I have real oil pressure light problems! Never before with the stock light sender did the light give me a solid, sickening red light as I rolled to a stop. Now it did have a gauge, with the light, telling me i'm in the 0-5 ?? psi zone. Of course rings, head, rods, bearings, weeks of work later.... I find that the VDO sender lights the warning light at 7psi compared to the 4 psi of the VW sender. Now, I'm really rambling here, but what I think you need to know is the VDO gauge set-up is highly suspect by me.

Check out your wiring stuff thoroughly first. It's worth it. If you are having random flickerings, then you can bet on a grounding out somewhere! No, then replace the VW oil pre switch first!. Only then, after that fails and you are receiving a solid, sickening red light at idle, then go for the gauge set up, which spells out, basically, that you are in for some major engine repair/replacement. Then go talk to boston bob.

One final note: if you put in the VDO gauge, do not.....DO NOT use their "adapter"/rubber hose 12" extension. First off, it's a $ rip-off. Second, I think is a possible reason why I'm still having an INDICATION of low oil pressure on a VW rebuid with 70k with one month old rod bearings,heads, oil pump,etc. Of course, I'll really know if my engine throws a rod!

Good Luck, Brian Cochran Seattle, WA 84 westy, 2.1L (that hates me), AT, otherwise nice