Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:18:46 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Subject:      Re: 85 muffler question
Comments: To: Jean-Guy Savoie <jgsavoie@nbnet.nb.ca>
Comments: cc: CTONLINE@webtv.net

At 09:55 PM 4/24/2001, Jean-Guy Savoie wrote: >I don't know much about stress and strain relief on the rod ends (David: >explain?) but I made mine out of an old canvas lawnchair frame. So far (2

Terry pointed out to me the question of internal stress relief in the metal, but I was talking about what happens when you go suddenly from something stiff to something limber or vice versa. If the transition is too abrupt you tend to have things break at the transition point -- stress (applied from outside) is concentrated there so that stress per unit area is high. That's why you have to skive the edges of a bicycle tire patch if you want it to stay on the tube...an extreme example is a cracked windshield. The crack concentrates all the stress in the space of a (relatively) few molecules, so you can make a crack spread right across your windshield just by thumping with your fist from the other side. The VW-supplied struts have carefully formed ends that take about an inch to go from all-round to all-flat. They do it by flattening the edges and gradually working into the center, leaving a profile sort of like a sharpened pencil with the flattened area surrounding and extending it.

Just to keep the words straight, stress is the force applied and strain is the resulting movement (if any).

Also, it would appear that the common terminology for what I'm talking about is "strain relief" -- at least in the sense of an external device such as would be used where a wire enters a piece of equipment, a headphone plug and suchlike. "Stress relief" is used to describe the relieving of internal stresses in a piece of metal by annealing or other means. I don't know the standard usage for what I'm talking about.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"