Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:49:18 -0700
From:         Steve Arbaugh <sneakers@oz.net>
Subject:      Re: Emergency engine cooling - a common problem?

I'll agree with Mark on this one. From what I've seen on my '85, the needle plants itself on top of the led. In traffic, I might see the needle climb so I can see half the led, but that's about it. I've never had my radiator fan come on while sitting in traffic, and this includes middle of summer here in Seattle (mid to upper 90's). My temp does go up when I'm climbing hills in a low gear, hence low speed and low air flow thru the radiator. In these situations, I turn on my a/c fan on low speed, not the compressor, and this activates the rad fan low speed which keeps the temps where they belong.

I recently replaced the radiator in my Audi, which was running the rad fan probably 50% of the time. With the new rad, the car rarely gets up to the "fan on" temp. I was actually able to feel cold spots on the radiator where it was fouled and plugged. Perhaps the same is happening on your vanagons?

I'm driving my westy today, and now that I've typed and posted this, I fully expect to blow a hose or something on the way home today.

steve '85 westy kent, wa