Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:42:36 -0700
From:         Matthew Pollard <poll7356@uidaho.edu>
Subject:      Re: Ever wonder what's in your fire extinguisher?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>

Stu- that ain't baking soda.

It is way way way worst- It is ammonia phosphate and or ammonia sulfate. (baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.) That stuff is extreamly corrosive. I would pull out that vacuum cleaner and go through everything that you can find, paying particular attention to the instrument cluster and radio. That stuff will eat up electronics, optics- like those high end laser mirros you have all over the dash- and aluminum.

As for CO2 extinguishers- a 10 lbs CO2 extinguisher weights about 40 lbs (that is 10 lbs of CO2). You need about three times more CO2 as compared to the dry chemical ones for the same fire stopping power. Then their is Halon, which is chloro-flouro-carbon (cfc :-( that weights less than the dry chemical ones for the same stopping power. If you have combustable metals (magnesium, titantium, etc) then you need a class D extinguisher- those are huge (like 10"x30") and weight about 75lbs for the same stopping power.... but chicks dig big fire extinguishers.

Personally, i stick with dry chemical because when my engine is on fire i don't give a damn about corrosion!

By the way, why didn't you have a trigger lock on your extinguisher? Doooohhhh!

-Matthew

Matthew Pollard http://www.uidaho.edu/~poll7356 Dept. of Chemistry http://www.chem.uidaho.edu University of Idaho http://www.uidaho.edu