Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:27:14 -0230
From:         Karl Dawe <kdawe@mun.ca>
Subject:      Re: Engineering a LCD screen for my camper
Comments: To: Sean Garrett <seangar@hotmail.com>

If you do a search online for people who are building their own MP3 players then you might find some relevant information. Some of these projects get out of hand, and they like to post all the information on the web, so there is a wealth of info out there.

Karl.

Im looking for advice from engineers in the list (or other knowledgable folks) about how I could buy a LCD screen and adapt it to take a feed from DVD player or VCR deck, then I could mount it in a custom cabinet into my 80 Vanagon Westy for the kids to watch while travelling (vanagon content).

So I want to make a very cheap LCD screen TV (DVD/VCR) player for my van with a flat panel screen. Just like the car stereo shops sell but for a absorbent price.

I can most likely buy the parts I need fairly cheap at electronics stores:

1. laptop screen from a salvage place (old laptop)or buy new screen by itself. 2. DC power supply. 3. Some type of signal device to transfer signals coming from a household DVD/VCR deck to the screen. 4. A "system" (?) board to mount the signal device electronics on and jacks for plugging in the DVD/VCR players.

Soliciting comments from those who might have some idea how to do this. Remember Im thinking of buying the DVD/VCR deck from Circuit city or the like and building the output device (flatpanel screen).