Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:58:26 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@charter.net>
Subject:      Re: our new 87 Vanagon GL
Comments: To: Patrick & Stephanie Harris <harrisvanagon@hotmail.com>

You might want to consider flushing the tranny and refilling it with Redline MT 90 synthetic transmission oil. Many on this list run this synthetic and swear by it. I do. I had a tranny difficult to shift from 1st to second or from second back into first. Redline MT 90 saved the day. Have 15,000 mils on the tranny now since switching over, and no problems. Just easy shifting.

Regards the lighting systems on the later Vanagons....they suck!! Upgrading the lighting is a really big issue. Some have opted to upgrade to Hella H-4 for the main rectangular headlights ( kinda expensive but a super improvement). Others have opted for the South African quad grill and 4 round headlights. A simple wiring upgrade has been used by some. The additional voltage available by enlarging the wires enables the existing lights to burn brighter. These are just a few wasys to deal with the lighting issue.

Enjoy your new rig.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Patrick & Stephanie Harris wrote: > > Greetings!! > > >uh, nope. the outer/bigger ones are the low beams. the inner/smaller > >ones are the high beams. try it and see. on high beams, both the inner > >and outers are on. but on low beams, only the outer/bigger ones are > >on. > > Yeah, it's just be being a retard. Come to find out that the high beams > were both burnt out. Silly thing, eh? :) > > >the light kinda sucks from these rectuangular headlights, though. :( i > >disliked it so much (compared to my old 80 bus) that i swapped out the > >headlights for the 80-85 round ones. and put some halogen headlights > >in. :) > > That's the truth for sure! You know, you'd figure that out of a composite > headlight, you'd get better lighting because of a better reflector. I guess > too much crack was smoked at VW when they designed it because it seems that > it just doesn't make the grade very well. My 81 sprays more light in all > directions better than our 87, hands down. > > > > 3.) Is there a way to purchase a new outside sliding door handle > >without > > > having to have an extra key? Is there a way to salvage the lock > >tumbler > > > from the old one? > > > >yes, you can fit a new handle over the old tumbler. check with > >800-876-5199. that's camelback vw in phoenix, az. good folks for > >parts. > > > > I'll give them a hollar tomorrow and see what they can come up with. > > >however ... there is a known problem with the 86-91 4-speed > >transmissions. :( the 3rd-to-4th gear syncronizer (a sort of > >intermediate gear) cracks and makes it hard to get into 4th gear. it > >should also make it hard to downshift into 3rd gear. and since you did > >NOT mention that, i'm hoping you don't have that problem yet. > > Yeah, it is easy to go into and out of both gears. However, it does make > that noise. I'm hoping, praying, that it isn't the start of that "3-4 > slider" problem. > > >hopefully, your problem is in the adjustment of the bottom plate or > >possibly an adjustment of the long linkage from the lever back to the > >transmission. > > I'm going to try that this weekend and see if that improves it. > > Thanks again!! > > Patrick Harris > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com