Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:02:15 -0700
From:         John McLean <jaymac@internetcds.com>
Subject:      "chrome" window trim

As a result of inspiration from the list, this week I yanked the awful looking plastic chrome trim from the windows of my Vanagon. The windshield was already replaced with a solid gasket so I was only concerned with the side and back hatch windows.

Someone mentioned going to a glass shop and letting them do the job with ease using professional tools and expertise so that's what I tried first. The first two shops acted like my request was a big bother not worth their time. The third shop at least took the time to look closely at my van and offer suggestions. The guy recommended replacing the plastic chrome with a ribbed round rubber gasket that is normally used for holding window screens in aluminum frames. The gasket cost $0.05 per foot so I bought 50 feet for $2.50 and set off for home.

I used a cotter pin pulling tool to open the slot and pushed the rubber gasket into the slot with a grooved wooden tool I fashened myself with my pocket knife. I used a liberal quantity of spray silicone to ease the process and I think it would be nearly impossible to do this without some type of lubrication.. The process was slow and laborious but the result is very satisfying. I was going to wait to see if I got any leaks on the side windows before doing the back but the sides looked so good I could not wait. If the back leaks I'll deal with that later. (this fix costs $1.00 per window while a new gasket from BD costs $55.00)

I washed my van after I was done using lots of water pressure at the window gaskets and could find no leaks so I am in luck. The appearance of my Vanagon is massively improved. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

John McLean 87 Vanagon GL (218,000 miles)