Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:40:16 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Audi 5000T wheels on a Vanagon
Comments: To: solomon_scott@yahoo.com

Scott,

I mounted these and am quite pleased with the results. I used inexpensive 5/16 inch (8 mm) spacers all around. There is a problem mounting the front wheels unless you fix the spacers, so I drilled two holes in each, countersunk the holes for a tapered Allen key socket head screw, drilled holes in the drums, threaded the holes and screwed the spacers to the drums (front and rear). To locate the front spacers, I just bolted up the front spacers with the Audi lugs, then drilled away. For the real, I just aligned the countersunk holes with the 6 mm holes already present. (Take off drum, mark hole, drill).

I found that the inexpensive wheels I got at the yard were too scratched for my taste, so I had them powder coated. I also bored the center to 2.625 inches ID so I could clear the grease caps on the front. I fabricated a set of aluminum spacer caps to set in the hole and accept the Audi black plastic covers. The effect is rather custom (pictures available on request), but in the end I probably spent as much as buying a new set of uglies (SA wheels, original Vanagon alloys, other Audi wheels, etc., etc.). Cost and fabrication details in the underutilized archives!

Frank Grunthaner