Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:05:04 -0600
From:         Steve Blackham <steph@uswest.net>
Subject:      87 idle CO/richness adjustment

I just bought a new CO analyser so I could set my many VWs to maximum fuel setting with the price of gas what is forecasted to be. I played a little bit with it this morning and am planning to get serious about it on Sunday. Initially, I found that the 2500 rpm range was just fine (.7%, richer than factory setting but promoting a cooler engine). My problem is that I couldn't get the idle setting under 1.2% by adjusting either the AFM idle mixture screw or the idle setting. That's at a stock factory idle setting of 875 RPM. At 1100 rpm it would get close to 1.0%. When I tried to starve it by holding back the swing arm on the AFM, I still couldn't get it to lean out (at least CO out).

I haven't pulled the plugs yet to check for bad spark but I don't think that's it because they are fairly new spit fires. Another thought is that the AFM idle bypass passage is dirty and restricting enough air flow at idle rich is making it richer. This would explain the idle mixture being off and the 2500 rpm being OK.

I've wondered about a bad cold start valve, but a 2.1 doesn't have one. My overall mileage was down this winter until I replaced the thermostat. I still wonder if the temp II sensor is a little on the slow or low side as it still is a little slow to warm up. My overall mileage right now is a little over 20 MPG (mainly city driving, it drops like a rock at and over 4000 rpm).

Any suggestions as to other things to look at? -- Steve Blackham Centerville, Utah

77 transporter converted to camper (Westy top) 83 Vanagon (New and current project) 87 Weekender