Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:46:57 -0700
From:         Richard Ferguson <fergusrh@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: Why do you like your Vanagon?
Comments: To: Karl Dawe <kdawe@mun.ca>

I like the way it sneezes on when i turn the key...well after a moment or two...I like the way it can sound like a swarm of bees...I like having my lunch in my own private mobile budoir d'amor...after all the money I have put into my van Stellllllllllllaaaaaaaaaa i just love it. Everyone including my gf says sell it but i don't care. Fuck the begrudgers. Keep the vanagon.

--- Karl Dawe <kdawe@mun.ca> wrote: > I've been driving a '90 Dodge Spirit since I got my license, and > finally > bought it from my mother when she bought her new(er) car three years > ago. > Every day, as I drove the POS from my home to work, I passed a parked > Blue/White Passenger Van. As the POS continued to crumble around me, > I was > spending about $200+ a month on repairs for it, and I decided that it > was > time to get something that was in better shape. Out of curiosity, I > stopped > in to ask who owned the Van, and if he'd consider selling it, and if > I could > take it for a spin. > > That's all it took. The ride was better than my car. It was HUGE > inside - > the perfect thing for those summer weekend road trips around the > Irish Loop. > :) Ok, so it didn't exactly take off the line, but hey, I got my > first > speeding ticket the week before, for doing 175km/h in a 100 zone, so > a > slower vehicle was appealing. And it's a VW. I've wanted a VW since > I was > a little kid, either a Bug of a Bus, and here was a real possibility > for me > to own that Bus. > I asked the owner how much he wanted for it, and he said that he'd > let it go > for $3000 (Canadian). I offered him $2450, and the Bus was mine. > Only > ~35,000km on the clock! > > A $1500 repair job latter (break job. The only remaining original > piece is > the fluid reservoir and the pedal) the Van was on the road. > > Then it caught fire. > > I threatened to sue the mechanic who did the inspection who missed > the > problem with the aux gas heater that caused the fire, and he repaired > the > damage for $500. > > So I decide to drop another $1000 or so later for a stereo. When I > go to > pick it up at the installer, he informs me that I have a serious leak > of > transmission fluid, and proceeded to show me the little piles of > sawdust > that was soaking up the spills from every spot the van had been > parked > during the day. > > That was about a month ago. It took me forever to find the > Transmission > Dipstick Tube (it was leaking through a pin-hole), and now that I've > found > one (thanks to Ken at Vanagain.com) we're just waiting for it to > arrive. > > Reading this over - I'm not sure why I love my van. :) I'm broke, > I'm > STILL not driving my van, and I'm trying to give myself a Crash > Course in VW > mechanics, but when she runs, I've got a damn cool ride. And I think > that's > why I love my Van. Nothing else on the road today turns heads like a > shiny > VW Van. It's unique. I can pack myself and my camera gear, friends, > and > their gear and take off for a weekend without having to worry or be > too > picky packing. It just fits my life. > > Karl. > St. John's, NF > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: CHRIS STANN <cstann3@HOME.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2001 6:53 PM > Subject: Why do you like your Vanagon? > > > > Why do you like your Vanagon? What made you consider one? What > was you > > first experience of one? > > > > I like mine because it oozes coolness from every panel seam. My > first > > experience was in Austria in '81. The owner reached a speed of 145 > KM/h > > with six adults, five children and their luggage crammed inside -- > Yup, > > that's an air-cooled Vanagon. Now that's what I call adventure! > When it > > came time to buy a versatile vehicle, the '85 Westfalia I now have > was a > > natural choice. > > > > Chris. > > '85 Westy.