Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:32:28 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@beaconmarketing.net>
Subject:      Re: ??Syncro Fuel Leaks??
Comments: cc: JKrevnov@aol.com

Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@aol.com> wrote: <<I can smell fuel somewhere in the rear end of my Syncro...>>

I am having the EXACT SAME experience. A faint whiff while walking by the van or when standing downwind, but no visible leaks whatsoever. (Or, as Rico said, no leaks other than oil and anti-freeze.) I also, after much investigation, determined the smell was not coming from the filler area, not was it discernible at all while poking my head inside the engine compartment on multiple occasions. I do detect the smell in both real wheel wells, but it seems to me that the smell comes predominantly from the driver's side rear wheel well. There is a whole lot of stuff crammed in there, including what looks to me like vent lines from the fuel tank, but maybe not. Could a vent hose have fallen off? Tank cracked somewhere? Some filter clogged? I have no

idea, and I do not relish the thought of performing further research. I may be hallucinating, but it may have started happening late last summer, which coincides with two events - 1) filling the tank from a jerry can rather than

the gas pump, and 2) replacing the entire exhaust system (during which process I fouled something up which causes the temp light to blink intermittently, and the engine to run roughly and eventually stall after going through an automatic car wash without the undercarriage wash - and not in the rain. But I digress...)

I doubt the gas cap is the answer - unless a leaky gas cap allows fuel to escape from somewhere else in the gas tank - Ah Ha! Maybe the jerry can spout distorted the cap sealing surface on the filler neck? Maybe that's it? Any fuel tank replacement veterans or other walking wounded have any suggestions/ideas?