Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:59:43 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <hotlava@interpac.net>
Subject:      89 Syncro driveshaft detached
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

>Obviously that the last person to install the joint, did not use a torch wrench.<

yeah... apparently that's the answer. strange that it took five months for it to work it's way loose though.

I'll check with my mech and make sure a torque wrench was used this time and have them go over all connections again. wasn't too cool having that happen at highway speed!

thanks.

mick hilo, hawaii ----- Original Message ----- From: emz To: Mick Kalber Cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com ; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 1:12 AM Subject: Re: [Syncro] 89 Syncro driveshaft detached

Obviously that the last person to install the joint, did not use a torch wrench. Or as I've seen, was even more wreckless, and left a bolt or two loose. Seen this at least a dozen time with VW products. Not to brag but to prove my point, I've alway used a torch wrench when the torch specs. are given, and I've never had a CV joint come apart. Eric Mick Kalber wrote:

I need some input here... I left Hilo going north up the Hamakua coast on my way to Kailua-Kona yesterday... about 25 minutes out of town, just as we got to the bottom of the first of three deep horseshoe turns through gulches in the area, I heard a loud clunk... like I had run over something that had hit the bottom of the van... or maybe something had broken below. As I slowed down rather quickly, there were a series of sharp metal on metal sounds like the driveshaft was catching on something. Scared me to death... I tought the front diff had gone out or something. Any subsequent moving of the van created the same driveshaft catching metal on metal sound every eight or ten feet. Naturally I stopped the car as soon as I could get safely to the shoulder which was at a very precarious position in the bottom of the gulch where vehicles don't slow down much and visibility is poor at best. It was raining steadily. I could see nothing amiss below the van so I assumed the front diff (or something nearby) had broken internally. Anyway, called a flatbed tow truck and had the van trucked back to Hilo to my mechanic's shop... about 32 miles or so. Cost me $87... I was glad it wasn't more. Today my mechanic told me the left driveshaft had come apart from the CV joint. Bolts were so twisted they had to cut them off to repair... probably from the catching noise I experienced. Somehow the bolts had managed to work their way loose... question is why? Tow cost me more than the repair (thank God!). Why in the world would this happen? The only background I can give is that we recently rotated the tires, back to front and vice versa... not crossed, no spare added. All tires are Michelin MTX's and are evenly worn with about 3/8" of tread on each. Funny thing was, last week after we rotated them she pulled to the left, against the crown of the road... badly enough for me to be concerned about an alignment problem. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to check out the pull to the left prior to my trip. But, oddly enough, there was no mis-alignment prior to the rotation. So we have now re-rotated (un-rotated?) the tires to the original positions and... guess what... no more pull to the left. Hmmm. Also, checked tire pressure upon return... all were at 38 except the right front which was at 40 for some reason. The CV and shaft had been disconnected twice before... once when we installed a new VC and the other when we rebuilt the gearbox (rear). So, the initial suspicion is that they weren't put back together tightly, right? But that was about five months ago! My mech says if that were the case we probably wouldn't have gone more than a few days before it came apart. Over the past five months I've driven over many very rough roads and not experienced any problem whatsoever. So, first, could the tire rotation have anything to do with the shaft/CV working it's way loose? Seems pretty weird to have been that, but we can't think of anything else. And why would the tire rotation cause a strong pull to the left? Anybody have any thoughts? Concerns me for future trips, especially here where there are only a few qualified mechanics and lots of places to get stuck far away from them. Yikes. BTW, my mech is a very experienced VW guy who races VW's and works on them full time in his own shop with his son and two other guys. He's worked on four of my vans over the years and I trust him implicitly. We talk over ever detail of every repair. He's taught me a lot of the little that I know (if that makes any sense). TIA Volks! Baffled in Hawaii... Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com Mick Kalber Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com