Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:28:09 -0400
From:         Ignace Speybrouck <ignace@sympatico.ca>
Subject:      85 muffler question

Hi all,

Well, a muffler question.

I have a 1985 GL with a bunch of welded distorded, rewelded and broken exhaust system with solid hanger to the frame (obviously aftermarket...and obviously why everything is broken))

So I bought a new exhaust system, including the "muffler strap".

The problem. As I look in the Bentley's manual (page 26.7) I'm still missing parts. It's all those small rods everywhere. The pipes I bought have bolts on them at the correct place to receive those rods. I don't have those rods.

Do I have to get those from the dealer or can I build them from flat bars, does anyone have the dimensions for those rods. Are they essentials ?

Thanks in advance,

Ignace

1985 Vanagon 1967 Volvo 144S (daily driver)

PS Why I like my Vanagon.

I just had the Vanagon for a month now. When I was young I always dreamed of driving a truck, sitting over the wheel. I just did that on the 23th of march. I live in Quebec, and I bought the Vanagon in Edmonton, Alberta, a 4600 km drive. Actually we landed at 15h00 local from Quebec and at 18h00 the road trip to the East began after a safety inspection. The Vanagon, while modest on power is an incredibly pleasing machine to drive. You don't need to speed in those machine to get a feeling ! High seating position, excellent view all over the place, very comfy seats, huge, huge huge internal space, low driving noise (compared with the Volvo...), possibility to move in the van are all great qualities. All this come with a price are you gona say, well if the price is a little bit more maintenance and new heads every 10 years, no problemo with me, being in the garage doing mechanic is a good way to relax from my job, and new heads are merely the equivalent of two payment on a new Plymouth Voyager ! Oh ! Almost forgot to say, save for that noisy muffler on arrival (last 500km) not a single problem during the trip ! I love this Vanagon.