Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:31:51 EDT
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: ??Syncro Fuel Leaks??-FOUND MINE
Comments: To: Doug@beaconmarketing.net, zol@foxinternet.net

In a message dated 4/24/01 2:58:29 PM, Doug@beaconmarketing.net writes:

<< I am having the EXACT SAME experience. A faint whiff while walking by the

van >>

First order of business: Zoltan, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! If you had not suggested moving the fuel lines around while they were under pressure, I might not have found the source of the gas smell before it was too late.

Today, I spent about an hour under the van trying to ferret out the leak with no success. Since I had no helper to keep a steady foot on the brake pedal, I could not muster the gonads nor foolishness to crawl under the van with the motor running while it was on ramps. Instead, I started it every so often then shut it down before I climbed underneath. I thought that the leak must be so small that the residual fuel pressure would remain long enough for me to find it. I was about to give up when I thought of something I learned long ago: if you can smell it, there IS a leak. So, I started it up and poked around the engine compartment. When I yanked up and down on one of the plastic fuel rails, a small moist spot formed on the bone dry dust which was covering the fitting. The leak was at the fuel injector to fuel rail joint. I was able to create the same leak on the other side. I snugged up the clamps and all was well. I also have ordered in some stainless steel clamps which are the same style as the OEM clamps just to be safe.

Rich