Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:14:03 -0700
From:         klfvw <klfvw@hexbus.com>
Subject:      Re: Rear Speaker upgrade

> bigger speakers then the stock 4 or 5" > ones that came from the factory. Anybody > have a setup that worked out well?

I like the results I've got. Music / sound quality is very important to me, and I'm a fairly critical listener, etc. I'm a live music taper and trader, so the ability to plug my portable DAT deck into the system is important. I've got an '89 Wolfsburg with the Weekender bench/bed.

Anyway, I've found *excellent* results with good quality 4" speakers in the doors and on the back panel. You've got to use amps, though, and I have amps mounted on a panel under the bench. I've also got a 6"x9" speaker in the Weekender/Carat speaker hole next to the table, that speaker is coming off a mono amp. I wanted bigger speakers in the back, but the dude wasn't comfortable cutting the panel, so I went with the "I'll live with it for now" thought, and I'm real happy. So, it looks pretty much stock, with Polk 4" spks all around, and the Infinity 6"x9" single speaker in the panel next to the table. It is loud and clean.

I'm *not* recommending any brands mentioned above, I'm just explaining what I've got. Buying good quality speakers will make a huge difference though, and driving them with real amps will also make a huge difference. You can always pick up last year's amps on sale.

I'd love to know what others are doing for high end sound systems, cause I'm ready to do it all over again. I've got the CD head unit, the amp for the 4 4" Polks, another amp going mono to the 6"x9" and another amp for the sub. I've got a little box that will accept L+R rca jacks to plug in the DAT deck.

Is it possible / recommended to cut that back panel up? I'm going to be dismantling my a/c system anyway (does anyone want a long center duct in perfect condition?, and anything else from my wolfy a/c system), and am wondering what I can do with that back panel.