Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:30:01 EDT
From:         Sean Lynch <Chgolynch@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Why do you like your Vanagon?

Several years ago, a friend of mine was driving an '84 Toyota van, and I was driving a '69 Bug. My friend loved his little 5-spd Toyo wagon, but was intrigured by my little Diamond Blue baby, with 48K on the clock, and a lionhearted 1500 what would mortally fly when put to task. Eventually, his van got crunched by a drunk, and he decided he had to get a Bug. He bought a bare, decrepit husk of a '73 for $50, and we redid that car one summer in '95 Corvette Quasar Blue metallic, with '66 front fenders, '67 popouts, '69 vent windows (chrome!), and literally raided parts from the best of all years. Had a late 3.88:1 tranny, and we built one mutha of an 1835. That car ruled, but he decided he missed the space his van had. So, we went Bus hunting. We found a stash of breadloafs up in Tennessee, the prizes being a '77 sunroof Samba, and a '69 Panel. The Samba had a locked motor, but it only had 77K on it, and it looked beautiful. So, we gave the panel to a fellow Dubber, and a serious bushead, and we redid that Samba. Eventually, he decided to sell it for a Golf (as I had a Rabbit at this time). He bought the Golf, and loaned me his Samba to drive while I rebuilt the motor in my Rabbit. For two weeks I drove that van, put on a fair bit of highway miles, and cruised the backroads of north Alabama in it, sunroof open, of course. Eventually, it sold. Currently, that bus is a frequent traveller between Birmingham and San Francisco. But, it was too late. Now I wanted a bus. Almost a year later, an old brown Vanagon appeared out front of my buddy's VW shop. Interested, I asked about it. It was an '82 GL Diesel, which had the #3 rod poking through the case. Still, the body was relatively sound, interior was mainly good, and I liked the cabin. Pumped, I scraped up the required cash, and went back to claim it. Much to my horror, it was sold, and gone! Fortunately, the new owner had a rebuilt motor plunked in it, and had it restored to operational status. Even better, the guy couldn't stand the revs the engine turned at on the highway, and couldn't tolerate the acceleration/speed. So, months later, I bought it for little more than it would've cost me with the engine blown. The van had 158K on the chassis, and now has 207K on her. Pieces have broken, a few holes opened up in the driver's seat, she smokes on hot days or if I go too long without running a little Marvel through her tank. She's slain a '01 Grand Marquis, and had her rear bumper mushed by an errant Kia. I've driven her 7+ hours, minus fuel stops, several times at wide open throttle with no faults. I ran the heck out of her last summer working for the Census, putting 100-200 miles a day on her. And she never let me down. Now, one of her front wheel bearings died. So, I ordered all new brakes, calipers, bearings and cabling for her. Some ill-repaired rust has peeked through the passenger rear wheel arch and lower panel. I've ordered the sheetmetal, and arranged with a friend who paints for the local Volvo/BMW dealer to redo her Assuan Brown/Tan paint scheme. Is it all worth it? Heck yeah. I'm content driving my dieselbox. No poptop or camping gear, but that's okay. She's taught me patience in my driving habits, and I've grown to appreciate trading light signals with semis. The diesel emits an assuring thrum through the cabin at speed, and you can only hear the valves clatter when you're running near concrete highway dividers. As far as Vangons go, she's been the anti-Vanagon through her steady reliability, and mostly nominal operation. I wouldn't say I've neglected her, but it was nice that she's held up so well for so long without coddling, and without stranding me somewhere. After forming a loving bond with my diesel, I wanted a Vanagon that could cruise long distances at normal highway speeds, and occasionally pass things other than stalled cars and mileage markers. So, I bought my second one, a white '86 GL. Again, it was a 7-seater passenger van, but it was a different animal thant the diesel. I liked the ability to bark the rear tires in second, the nifty overhead a/c, and the new Bilsteins, Agilis tires, and power steering. Plus, it was QUIET. I paid $1400 for it. However, not all was well. I had the van towed four times in one week as various parts of the cooling system exploded, the water pump fragged, and it would overheat in the blink of an eye. Plus, it had the 'extroverted oil light' syndrome. Several burpings, and a highway run with a Stant tester hooked up later, I found I had an exhaust leak into the cooling system. So, I found a guy wise in wasserboxers, and dropped it off for a rebuild. Thirteen months later, I have a dismantled motor. Disheartened? Heck no. I'm building a 2.4L bottom end, replacing both cracked heads, and have been researching some fixes of the common 2.1L problems. Raceware studs and rod bolts are in order, and FAT performance is going to balance, counterweight, and stroke the crank. I'm looking forward to haveing even more zoom from my '86, which should be ready to roll by the end of June. Loving a wasserboxer? Am is sick? Yes, smitten with the Vanagon bug. Which is why I bought number three, an '83 aircooler, seven-passenger. Motor's out, reportedly locked, but it's in good, complete condition. No dropped valves. I have 914 2.0L pistons new in the box, and all new bearings and goodies. Body is cherry, but I'd like to swap the dash, since it has undesired speaker holes in it. I have a donor dash. best part was the price, a mere $200. This one will be getting whipped back into shape as soon as I finish restoring an old 36hp for a friend. In conclusion, I don't just LIKE my Vanagons, I LOVE my Vanagons. Regardless of what shape they're in. And just as long as they're all manuals. ;)

-Sean L.