Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:11:19 -0400
From:         "Samuel L. Walters" <slwalters@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] West Virginia, Dolly Sods, Seneca Rocks,
              etc. (minimal Vanagon content)
Comments: To: emz <VW4X4@FYI.NET>

Eric,

This is just about my favorite area to vacation. Haven't gotten there in about two years due to tight dollars making vacations have to be on the cheap. Now that I have a vanagon that I can sleep in, I'll be out there soon too. No more vanagon content after here folks, so delete or move on unless you want to hear about one of the most beautiful places on the East Coast. What is below just scratches the surface.

Talk with the folks at Blackwater Bikes in Davis if you don't already know about them. They can point you to some great mountain bike rides. I've done a lot of the ones they recommend. Do you ride on the road also because there is a killer, but beautiful 36 or so mile loop out of Davis down Rt. 32 thru Canaan Valley then west to Kendricks then back NE to Thomas then SE to Davis. Lots of hard climbing, need to be in shape and have sufficiently low gears. The off road ride from Thomas up to the fire tower is great, awesome scenery - have seen some people actually camped at the top of this road - two ways to drive in. Same for the ride up the old Western Maryland grade from Kendricks to Thomas, if you have someone to drop you off, a steady climb in that direction. There is a way to make it a loop, Thomas to Davis and beyond on the road, go off road near the crest of the first mountain south of Davis and than mostly down hill to east of Kendricks a bit west on the road until you cross the Blackwater River at Kendricks and then right almost immediately and then come up the RR grade. Some tamer rides east of Davis in the old strip mine areas - flatter but some challenges if they show you some of the race courses out there. Then there are some great and challenging rides in the SE corner of Canaan Valley. Dolly Sods is closed to Mtn bikes. No Mtn biking around Seneca Rocks that I know of but it is beautiful. A must see if you have never been before. Nice path up to the top.

I often see people just camping in the open areas due east of Davis WV out this old dirt road that led to the strip mines. No facilities. There is a camp ground at Seneca Rocks that looks nice, only been there on day trips. The best mountain biking is in and just north of Dolly Sods around Davis, Thomas and in Canaan Valley. You can actually bike up to the northeast boundary of Dolly Sods on old, but very challenging jeep trails, fire roads that leave from near the private ski facility in Canaan Valley, then you can go west from there and bike across to one of the several "Bald Knobs" in WV and have a incredible view of Canaan Valley and descend down to the State run ski lift area by one of several routes including the ski slopes - but they are only for folks with high levels of mountain bike skills. Very steep - can't stop the bike only slow it down some with the brakes.

But this area is beautiful, there is a good grocery store in Davis near the bike shop, the guys at the bike shop are great. I am jealous. But most of the mountain biking is for serious folks. Be cautious on which trails you pick if you are not pretty hard core and/or still have winter legs.

There a good hiking trails mild to challenging all over Canaan Valley, a state park there. Blackwater State park just outside Davis to the north of the Valley, Blackwater Falls is beautiful - supposedly the most photographed spot in West Virginia. Tamer bike trails at the private ski place. Several decent restaurants - none great, good pizza next to the bike shop in Davis. I'd stay around Davis and go to Dolly Sods and Seneca Rocks as a day trip. They are both to the south of the Davis and Canaan Valley which is supposedly the highest valley in the U.S. east of the Mississippi River.

You never could tell I love this area could you. Oh, am I ever dying to get there now. Got to get that bike out and get some more miles in these old legs.

Sam Walters 84 Vanagon - which have been to this area many times - it won't get to go next time. 89 Syncro GL - which will be going for the first time soon now that the VC is fixed.