Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:53:55 -0700
From:         klfvw <klfvw@hexbus.com>
Subject:      need a starter, have some questions

Hi, all. I've got an '89 Wolfsburg Weekender, and I'm fairly *in*competent mechanically. I'd appreciate some advice, background, etc., from anyone who cares to give it. Not just on my specific starter questions, but also on the subject of mechanics . . .

I need a new starter, I'm at the point where I'm tapping the solenoid every 3 or 4 starts. I'm doing it a little slower than I should because I just pumped out a lot of money for new front brakes and I'm trying to spread out expenses.

My mechanic said it'll be $300+ for parts (~240) and labor (~60), and I just paid him way too much for new front brakes, so I'm going to try to get him to use parts I supply, or else it's time to find someone new.

I looked up starters on the sites of the various friendly parts people who appear on the list. One has a rebuilt starter for around $135. Another has a rebuilt starter for around $130 plus $60 for refundable core deposit. What does refundable core deposit mean?

Anything I should think about or know about before I get this done?

Should it be easy for me to find a mechanic who'll either use my parts or will charge a reasonable, small markup? My current mechanic marks down VW list price, says he's giving me half off, and tells me I can't beat the price.

I realize I can ask these questions directly to the parts people, and I will, but I want to start here for some extra education.

Thanks!