Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:21:18 -0700
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran@earthlink.net>
Subject:      Re: MotorHomeClassification
Comments: To: Richard Ferguson <fergusrh@yahoo.com>

Rick,

To determine the "living" or "motorhome" characteristics of a vehicle, you can have it either way in various jurisdictions, by the presence or absence of a toilet, and a bed, a sink, and a stove, and according to how well you can argue the point of what constitutes a "toilet." Westfalia has no toilet. Porta-potty," or its generic version is not mentioned, or considered by you, by the way. As I understand the situation, a "toilet" is a permanently-installed device equipped to receive and to store human excrement and which provides for the sanitary disposal of that material.

1. In California, a Westy carries a blue seal and a classification which gives the Housing Department of the State a jurisdiction over the vehicle, but it can be registered as a simple, private-use car, by virtue of the absence of the toilet.

2. Regardless of the "We've always registered that Westy, that way, " comment from the nice lady at DMV, determine if the definition in Virginia of "motorhome" includes a toilet. Determine the definition of a toilet according to the code.

3. Call the Recreational Vehicle Institute of America in DC and ask if that trade organization considers a Westy a "motorhome," which I remember means that you can "live" in the vehicle, and that use status usually includes the presence of the "permanent" toilet. A relatively "local" to VA authority will give emphasis to your position.

4. AAA of Southern California will pay, under the Plus membership benefits, for towing of a Westy, even overseas, without the payment of the "extra" fee for insuring a Motor Home or Recreation Vehicle for towing purposes, because of the ABSENCE of a toilet. Determine the VA AAA organization's practices. Without the toilet, AAA of Southern California determines that the vehicle is not a motor home or a recreational vehicle. Ask me how I know.

5. Determine what the Insurance Company Institute, (or a similarly-named trade association) which I think, also, is in DC, considers a Westy.

6. In Texas, my Westy is registered as a simple, private, vehicle, without regard to any considerations other than its private or commercial use.

7. Call your State representative and inform him or her of the confusion in the Code as compared to those codes/practices in other, more progressive jurisdictions.

8. Incite the Westy community in VA to carry the banner of "foolish" state regulations and to storm the DMV barricades.

9. Appeal any decision that goes against your position. Cite the various sources above, after you research them.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia