Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:38:48 -0700
From:         john tomljenovic <zadar72@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: why I now like my vanagon and our first trip

We did our first trip this weekend! after owning it since november, the girl and me took it to kickapoo state park for a mountain bike race, we were planning to get there on saturday afternoon and preride the course, then find a spot and camp the night before the race, and this is how it went...

well first we didn't make it till dark, oh well, we were so uncordinated, get the bus ready and everything, we now have a list of what we didn't bring.

left chicago on like the windiest day. this camper sure is a trip in strong winds, was a battle to keep'er straight. and the look of disbelief in my eyes when in a headwind and going uphill, had the throttle pinned and watching the speedometer roll backwards!? WTF! welcome to vanagon country I guess. the ride was still a blast; making fun of people we passed (I mean how could you let an underpowered brick pass you?); and getting socked with 15mpg, and the new mirrors flopping down made for exciting lane changes.

was too late to ride so got to our campsite, and everything just fell together. chairs out, lit some candles. I built a fire while the girl made dinner (on the counter of the westie of course!). chilled out, had some visiters, how not when you have such a people magnant as the westfalia. went to sleep in the upper bunk (need some more padding up there) broke down camp in the morning (this thing is so cool how it folds up in seconds).

raced poorly but was a hit in the pits, we were at least party central, all the cute girls commenting on the nice van. "but I have a girlfriend..."

on the way home caught a tailwind and just cruised on home without a hitch, 23mpg this time!

the bus is 350 miles older now but had a ball even if the trip started out not so well, will be looking forward to the next one, and better prepared this time. camping is just too cool.

BTW this is why we love our vanagon

john and tawnya