Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:37:43 -0600
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@math.utah.edu>
Subject:      Poor man awning

Well, I finally got around to putting together an awning. Following some advice from some of you (in the archives) I did the following:

3- adjustable tent poles ($9 total) 1- 6 by 8 poly tarp (I had it) 1- 15 foot stick of 1/2 inch pvc ($1) Some rope and stakes ($10) 2- Spring clamps ($4)

Total cost (this might increase later): ($24)

I just put the tarp in the rain gutter with the pvc pipe on top of it and clamped it to the rain gutter. I then staked out the poles and its working like a charm in my driveway. If it rained, I think I might have puddling problems (which I would probably fix by adjusting the tent pole height), but I think it will hold up to a decent gust of wind.

The 10 or 15 foot length of pvc is a bit of a pain, and I think I will replace it with some more tent poles so that I can carry it easier. I fiddled around with pvc couplings, but they are too big to fit well into the rain gutter. I found a place in town with used tent poles for $1 a section, so this will only cost me $4 to use tent poles instead. I'm a bit worried that metal tent poles will scratch the paint too much and cause future rusting, but I can probably figure something out to fix this.

The clamps are also a small problem because they are too big to use if I want the tarp to cover the front door and be able to open and close the front door (right now I have it clamped between the sliding door and frond door). And, I also have to clamp behind the maximal distance the sliding door slides open. I have some small C-clamps that I might use, but I think that I prefer having spring clamps in case a big wind comes up and the awning really should come off (safety feature?).

I also might want to use a bigger tarp, but these tarps are cheap ($4 for an 8 by 10) so that won't be a problem. Hell, I can carry both of them and use whichever I want.

Just thought I would share my addition, which I know is by no means my idea. I think I will work nicely though when I need it.

Blake 84 Westy