Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:29:05 -0500
From:         "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@tribune.com>
Subject:      Re: digijet timing

I just wanted to point out some things regarding the message below. 1) the stock setting is 5 degrees after top dead center 2) full advance according to bentley is around 27-31 degrees. 3) However when you advance your timing for performance the settings become 6 degrees BTDC at idle and 42 degrees full advance ( vacuum lines all connected) 4) your throttle body idle speed screw will be about a half a turn from fully screwed in 5) I reccomend turning the idle up a little bit ( manual only) to help preventing balking following a long decelleration. 6) I've had my 85' Westy timed like this for years with no problems ( 137K original everything) 7) I have had no pinging ever ( using 87 octane Chevron and Mobil) 8) I reccomend changing the timing to zero degrees TDC, and then if you like that go ahead and advance the timing to 6 degrees BTDC ( remember the TDC timing mark is the shallow groove- not the v-notch on the 1.9 L water cooled motors. 9) I consulted pro mechanics and got the ok before advancing my timing. 10) this is only for water cooled, air cooled will have to stay near the stock setting, maybe cheat a few degrees of advance, but that is it!

Hope this clears things up

MAlibu Tony 85' Westy 6 degrees BTDC ( for years) 42 degrees full advance

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Cotsford" <Cotsford@aol.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 7:33 AM Subject: Re: Digijet timing