Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:19:46 EDT
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Lawsuit/Sue the Bastards!
Comments: To: vanagon@volkswagen.org

In a message dated 4/29/01 2:58:10 PM, vanagon@volkswagen.org writes:

<< I agree - it seems that there are too many people out there who are not willing to take responcibeity for their own actions and always look to putting the blame on someone else for their own stupidity.>>

It seems that we always are so quick to make assumptions which reinforce our prejudices. I am not privy to the transcripts of this legal action; perhaps you are. I do feel that more than a few good people were empowered to seek the truth regarding the matter before them and to come to a common decision. These folks were acceptable to both sides of the argument before the proceedings started. Since there was no mention of the case being thrown out because of a rigged jury, I have to think that they arrived at their conclusions in good faith.

I do not think a person can be characterized as stupid because he did not use a type of seatbelt which was never installed or because, perhaps, he skidded on a patch of black ice while he was taking his family out for a pizza one bitter Winter's evening.

It was not mandated that VW install 3-point seatbelts when the van was built. This is true, but before you absolve them of any responsibility for this tragedy, consider this: the 3-point harness as we know it, was invented by a Volvo engineer in, I believe, the early 60's. From what I have read, Volvo felt that this design was of such a great benefit to mankind, that they released the patent, gratis, to any manufacturer who wanted to use it. I have driven Volvo's since 1977, my first being a '75 242. Every one I have owned has had the 3-point belts on all outboard seats. To tell you the truth, I never worried about the center rear seat because, I consider a Volvo a 4 passenger car.

Volvo did not HAVE to install these superior restraints either, but, I would like to think, their integrity would not allow them to do otherwise.

<<Good thing the legal system in Canada would throw a case like this out!>>

Good for whom? Anyway, Canadians cannot even decide which language to speak so how would they ever come to the consensus of a jury verdict? .)

Rich