Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:34:45 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: Westy in garage and other LP gas questions
Comments: To: Chris Knust <chris@knust-net.de>

Chris,

Rectorseal is the product name; right Karl (Bloss, that is)?

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Knust" <chris@knust-net.de> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 8:24 PM Subject: Westy in garage and other LP gas questions

Hi folks,

I was just wondering whether you Westy-owners park your vehicle in the garage if and when the LP gas tank is (at least partly) filled. I just got a new tank for ī87 Harry, however I am still concerned whether itīs kinda safe to park Harry in the garage as long as the tank actually contains LP gas. I mean, how sure can I be that the valves and fittings really do their job at all times and that the garage does not blow up one day when I come home and hit the electric garage door opener???

Second newbie question: the stove seems not to have one (for Europeans common) safety feature - in Europe stoves will only allow LP gas to flow when the control button is pushed or when the stove is lit. If the flame is blown out, a safety valve will shut the gas flow off. Not so with Harryīs stove - once I turn the button, gas flows happily until the button is turned off again. Is that a bug or a feature?

Third question: Having noticed (i) the stoveīs gas flow and (ii) our kidīs love to turn every knob and push every button in reach, I considered adding two on/off gas valves into the gas pipes for the fridge (who in the meantime at least barks once, however does not light yet....) and the stove. However, our local RV dealers told me that there are no such things as simple valves to put into the pipes. Again - in Europe those valves are safety standards. Before I try to get valves from Europe, does anyone know whether the gas pipes in the Westy are European or US-standard diameter?

Finally: one RV dealer told me that in order to seal the gas fittings, I should use sealant (right word?), but not one which contains teflon. Actually I forgot to ask why - anyone knows whether this is correct and why? I have some sealant left from our European Class C motorhome which we sold before coming to the U.S. and I will use that; however I noticed that the sealant sold at Home Depot for gas pipes etc. does contain Teflon. So, whatīs the issue?

Guess thatīs it for now ;-) Thanks, have a nice week! Cheers Chris Knust Troy, MI www.knust-net.de ī87 Westy "Harry"