Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:45:03 -0300
From:         Jean-Guy Savoie <jgsavoie@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject:      Digijet timing ATDC or BTDC? compare air cooled AFM

Hi ya

Recent discussion of the timing of the Digijet 1.9L led me to look into the Good Book, you know, the other Good Book, officially sanctioned by VW.

I noticed in Bently section 28 that the two Air cooled AFM models are strikingly different in regards to timing: The Calif. model sets timing at 7.5 ATDC and the USA/Canada model way far the other way, 5 BTDC. So what gives?

Is this a smog thing? Or is it a California-cool-dude-I'm-not-in-any-rush-waiting-for-the-wave-so-I-don't-wan t/need-the-extra-power type of thing? ;~)

It seems to me that, by retarding the ignition so much, either the combustion wouldn't complete as there is less time in the cycle for all the fuel to burn, or else the power is lost because the explosion is happening after the piston has already started it's down stroke. Assuming I am right (many factors I didn't consider, no doubt), then this would only increase consumption, no?

Any comments would be appreciated.

I set mine (84 1.9L) to specs last year, 5 ATDC, and noticed a distinct lack of power, I then reajusted to TDC, much better. Now I read that some of you set it even further back to 5 BTDC. I'm confused, but I think I'll try it.

BTW, there was discussion about the pulley not having a TDC mark. SEE Bently 28.33. The TDC mark id not a sharp V cut, but a rounded depression.

BTW (2), a poor man's tach for setting idle speed: I downloaded a "tone generator" www.nch.com.au . With this you can generate a tone of 28.333 hz which is what your engine should sound like at 850 rpm as per digijet specs, if my math is correct: 850 rpm * 4 cylinders / 2 (only fires once every two revs) /60 seconds = 28.333333333333333333333333333333333etc. You can record this on a MD or CD (a cassette tape's speed may vary depending on conditions and on the machine) and set idle speed it by ear, of course the deaf and tone deaf need not apply. Besides the big tach dashboard conversion or expensive equipment, any other suggestions?

JGS

84 Wesfalia Bleu Schtroumpf