Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:05:24 -0600
From:         DGT <hetchins@montana.com>
Subject:      Re: Waving (Was: Van reactions)

I was going to stay out of this thread, since I am a motorcycle rider and have been down this wave/don't-wave road numerous times on various motorcycle mailing lists, but it's so much fun that I can't resist.

Back in the 60s and 70s with my '56 bug (Erica) and '69 bus (Brother Abraham) I only waved at and/or received waves from other freaks/hippies. Straight people in their shiny new bugs and buses ignored me. When the Vanagon was first introduced I never waved at them because I hated them for not being air-cooled and because they weren't real buses, and if I did wave they never waved back, and they never ever waved first of course. Nobody in a nice shiny new Vanagon would wave at some freak in a bus.

When I finally gave in and became a Vanagon owner back in '89 (1986 GL 'Little Bear') I didn't do much waving because I still thought Vanagon owners were a bunch of stuck-up traitor snobs, and I was too ashamed to wave at buses because I felt like a traitor. The only people I waved at were people who were obviously phreaks, and it didn't matter what they were driving.

Nowadays, now that Vanagons are being replaced by those stuck-up traitor snobs in Eurovans, I wave at Vanagons, buses, and bugs on a pretty regular basis, although there are so many of them here in Missoula, Montana that I am worried about carpal-tunnel. Whenever I forget and accidentally wave at a Eurovan they look at me the same way those Vanagon drivers used to look at me long ago. And so it goes...

(None of this applies to two-lane highways in western Kansas, where everyone waves at everyone else, even motorcycles. A nice policy.)

Dick Taylor Missoula, Montana

'86 GL 'Little Bear' '87 Syncro 'Big Bear'

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to... uh... something