Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 May 2001 04:25:24 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net>
Subject:      Re: Thule or Yakima rack part no's - Westy
Comments: To: Michael Ramer <ramerm@earthlink.net>

I think the brackets Michael is refering to are called side loaders and top loaders. Would think you'd want backup plates to spread the stress on the glass top, lbut someone elsoe on the list could be of more help that actually owns a westy. The top and side loaders run about $30/pr and canoe shops typically sell them too. These brackets aloow you to use the cheaper, but just as sturday QuickN Easy roof brackets($45/set) and bolt either round bars to them or a cheap pair of 2x4's if cost is a determining factor. Good luck

Dimwitted moose and Flying Squirrel ----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Ramer To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 11:57 AM Subject: Re: Thule or Yakima rack part no's - Westy

Mick,

Thule & Yakima both make rack tower mounts that will fit to rain gutters and are tall enough to fit over the pop top. Unfortunately, this prevents the pop top from being raised due to the load bars over the top. The alternative is to mount the steel 'artificial rain gutters' to the pop top to mount standard height rack towers as the PO did to my Westy. I did the same to my truck's fiberglass camper shell too. Strong enough for bikes, kayaks or a small roof rack. Don't know the part #'s but any good bike shop should have some.

Aloha ----- Original Message ----- From: Mick Kalber To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: 4/30/01 3:41:12 PM Subject: Re: Thule or Yakima rack part no's - Westy

> Does anyone have part numbers or kit suggestions for a > Yak or Thule pop-top rack?

I'm looking for a rack for my westy too... but I need to put a couple kayaks on it. Suggestions and used racks for sale would be much appreciated. Would rather not bolt thru the pop-top however.

TIA

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) hotlava@interpac.net www.volcanoscapes.com

----- Original Message ----- From: Mark Mages <wasserbox@yahoo.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 7:38 AM Subject: Thule or Yakima rack part no's - Westy

> Does anyone have part numbers or kit suggestions for a > Yak or Thule pop-top rack? > > I have decided that this is the best way for me to go > - I would like space up top for 3-4 bikes in the > summer, and possibly a canoe (not all at once). I > will be looking for the ones that bolt into the > pop-top. > > Any suggestions? Which risers, bars, etc. > > Thanks > > ===== > Mark > Music is the soundtrack to the Low Budget B-movie that is my life. > > 87 Westfalia Gl > 84 Scirocco 8v > http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/ > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

--- Michael Ramer --- ramerm@earthlink.net --- EarthLink: It's your Internet.

[text/html]