Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 May 2001 07:38:39 -0600
From:         Randy Herd <randyherd@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: A/C R-12 to R-134A
Comments: To: Michael.Pabst@ts.siemens.de

Michael,

Every spring for three or four years, I had to add about a pound of R12 to my system (slow leak at the front compressor seal). It finally got too expensive to replace the freon so I started looking into converting to 134A. www.aircondition.com has an ac discussion board similar to the Vanagon list. A real conversion to R134A needs a lot of parts to really make it work correctly. R12 compressors are different than R134A compressors because of the much higher operating pressures for R134A. Freeze-12(www.freeze12.com) is sort of advertised as a drop in replacement for R12. Freeze-12 does NOT carry the oil used for R12 very well and will probably screw up your compressor unless you add a little ester oil. It operates at a higher pressure than R12 but not as high as R134A. My system lasted all last summer (in El Paso) and needed the same amount of Freeze-12 last month as it used to need of R12. I had my system recovered of all freon, vacumned out, a little ester oil added, and about 41 oz of Freeze 12 installed. The person that performed the work is licensed and used professional gages and charged by pressure readings.

I was able to get Freeze-12 at a good price, but it can be difficult to find. When my compressor finally goes, instead of getting a new Sanden R12 compressor for at least $299 plus shipping and labor, I will use one of the new Sanden R134A compressors, a new reciever/dryer, all new O-rings, new expansion valve, etc.

If it wasn't extremely illegal to do so, using Freeze-12 to top off your R12 would work.

Randy Herd 86 GL Weekender 68 Kombi 98 Jeep Cherokee