Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 May 2001 07:06:18 -0700
From:         Dana Morphew <kadm@pugetsound.net>
Subject:      Re: Canadian Parts

For people ordering from Canada, <http://www.volkswerk.com/index1.htm> , is another place to try. It's in Summerland, B.C.. I've had good results from Peter. Here's a bit he sent to me in response to my questions:

The parts we stock are supplied from all over the world. We supply as many German parts as possible but many parts, even OEM are not made by German manufacturers. What is most important to us is that the part is of excellent quality and that it fit properly without having to file, drill, bend etc.

Our experience, based on some 30 yesrs experience in the VW repair field, is that some manufacturers try to cut back in materials or workmanship to supply parts that are cheaper. This can result in you saving money on the part but spending more on the installation because it simply doesn't fit or work. So, yes, sometimes we will stock a more expensive part but it is only because a lesser one is of inferior quality.

What we try to do is give you the options and with our advice let you make the decision. For example, the Brazilian company COFAP makes very good shocks for the average application and I would recommend these, quality is very good, they fit properly and are reasonably priced. Since we do carry BOGE (German) and Bilstien (top notch German) the price difference is not justified for the average driver.

We started this site because we got tired of suppliers trying to pawn, because that is what it seemed like, off on us these low quality parts because they are cheaper. It just isn't right.

All shops install the same parts, these are not no-name. If you have a repair done most parts are produced by only a handful of companies world wide, we try to filter out the garbage.

Our parts are priced on the basis of low overhead and minimal markup because of the volume we sell. Infact most of our parts here in Canada are priced lower to the customer than their mechanic's shop can buy them for wholesale.

The prices you see are not suggested retail, they are the prices you would pay in a shop here in British Columbia. Dealerships are higher of course.

Our prices are all in Canadian funds. Shipping depends on the carrier and the size of the order. We do use some carriers that require brokerage fees but mostly we use Air Mail to ship all over the USA and Canada.(No brokerage fee) and reasonable rates with usually 3 to 5 day delivery time. Seattle is probably quicker. Depending on the size of the order we are also able to send it from inside the USA. We try to send it the most efficient and least expensive way.

If you have any problems we will try to e-mail you diagrams from shop repair manuals to help you during installation.

As far as your question about hard ware I'm not sure what you mean. Nuts and bolts or parts like that, yes. Even special, one application, fasteners or spacers, yes. Some special items are only available through dealerships and if that is the case we can even get those for you.

I hope I was able to be of some assistance and provide you with enough information to let you make an informed decision.

Thank you for your interest

Peter P. Jankowksi

-Dana-