Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 May 2001 10:38:46 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@usa.dupont.com>
Subject:      Re: Digijet Timing Marks
Comments: To: Paul Borghese <vanagon@groupstudy.com>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Paul wrote:

"Paul Borghese" <vanagon@groupstudy.com> on 05/01/2001 10:26:07 AM

To: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont cc: vanagon@vanagon.com Subject: Re: Digijet Timing Marks

Ok, I went through this exact same thing. First it drove me nuts that setting the timing to the specifications causes the engine to run poor with lack of power. For weeks I thought I was doing something wrong, then finally I just accepted that my engine (20K miles on a rebuilt) likes the engine to be at a few degrees BTDC more then the manual calls. With the Aux Air Regulator, there seems to be a delay of about one second from the time you squeeze the hose and the time you hear the engine drop. The drop is quite suttle and you can best hear it when the engine is stone cold. The Aux. Air Regulator gradually closes the air flow when it get's hot. I believe it is heated by current going to the censor and not the actual temperature of the engine (although the engine temp does have an effect as it is bolted to the engine). So a slightly warm engine will have less air-flow from the Aux. Air Regulator then a stone cold engine/regulator. Try the test again first thing in the morning just after starting the engine. Good luck, Paul Borghese But the idle stabilizer over-rides everything--it is hell-bent on maintaining 850-900 rpm by changing the ignition timing. Squeezing the aux. air reg. hose may not do anything noticeable to the idle speed. The stabilizer masks alot of problems. If you are trouble-shooting idle or ignition problems, or just fine tuning, by-pass the stabilizer. A well tuned system (with no vacuum leaks) should run OK without it. It just improves driveability as the engine's condition changes.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay L Snyder" <Jay.L.Snyder@usa.dupont.com> Newsgroups: groupstudy.vanagon Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 8:40 AM Subject: Digijet Timing Marks