Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 May 2001 17:41:29 -0700
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@hotmail.com>
Subject:      oil pressure story in full: costs, thoughts, gripes,
              etc. (quite long)
Comments: To: bostneng@fcl-us.net

Oil Pressure Woes and how they over-ran my life this winter.

The story

I have a Volkswagen vanagon westfalia. I’m a wilderness/park ranger and needed a vehicle I could live out of during the summer. I didn’t like the pick-up camper, since you have to go outside to get into the camper part, and the cab cannot be utilized during the camp. The westfalia is perfect in terms of layout and such. But asking it to go anywhere is something of a challenge. Why anyone would own one of these expensive things is beyond me, since the newest vanagon you can own is a ten year old van, the mileage is 17 mpg on average, and the list goes on from there with a variety of other considerable problems. I am the seventh owner of my 84 van. I paid too much for it, but I paid much less than the market average.

In january, I got a flickering oil pressure light. The previous may I replaced a wire that was causing the oil pressure light to flicker, so I figured, wrongly, that this time around I have real problems. I went out and bought a VDO oil pressure gauge from the bus depot. The whole set up ran me about $90. That’s a lot of money. That damn gauge as driven me crazy ever since. If you have an 86 and up, with the dual pressure switch system, don’t buy it. You have the warning system you need. Earlier van owners can’t really tell if you have adequate pressure while moving, since the .3 bar sender only tells you if your oil pressure is low at idle. It’s nice to know where you oil pressure sits, but the work and cost of that luxury isn’t worth it.

In my case, I’m not sure if I’ll ever know if I needed to do all what I did, but it all started with the installation of the gauge, where, upon installing it, I found that my new wire had, yet again, grounded out on the engine tin, thus causing my oil pressure light to flicker. (so the light wasn’t from a oil pressure prob)

On a long drive with my van up snoqualmie Pass to enjoy some skiing, came my first real opportunity to observe what happens with my gauge on a drive: it starts cold at about 80 psi, slowly falling as the engine warms. It stays in the 50 psi (on the highway) for a while, but after about 7-10 miles the pressure drops into the 30ies. My problem was that my pressure kept dropping to about 20 psi at 55-60 on a hard climb uphill. When I exited I-90 and rolled to a stop, there was a sickening red light lit solid and steadfast on my dashboard. THe gauge seemed to be at zero. I had a horrible day of skiing. I realized that this van of mine was going to ruin my winter; and it did.

On the way down the hill and the end of the day, I took it easy. I let gravity take control, and kept the speed down. After about 20 miles, the pressure was down again, despite the “ease” of speed. At my exit, once again, I had the red light. I had a flat drive on the remaining ten miles back to home. I took it at the speed limit which was mostly 35 mph. After a stretch, I saw that my oil pressure had recovered I wasn’t getting the light anymore at idle. It was quite a puzzle, so I went to the list and started a discussion which snow-balled into a debate of Robert Lilley vs. Boston Bob Donalds on what causes what in oil pressure loss. Bob put his money where his mouth was, in terms of betting on his theory that the connecting rod bearings were worn, which was causing my oil pressure problem. He offered free rods and bearings. You know, I’m not even sure how much $ that saved me, but it was over $100. At the time, that was a lot of money, the deal required me to buy his new heads, but I needed to run my gaskets anyhow, since I was occasionally getting coolant spotting (about 70,000 on a VW rebuilt....213,000 on the van). So, I decided to do the job. I had a garage, I had knowledge of engine rebuilds, from my corvair days ten years back, and I had the time, with winter break up coming in Feb. I trashed the $$ idea of a conversion, and told myself to yank the engine, work fast, and get it done.

The work: The hardest part about it was getting my parts from the depot. They had a lot of employees out sick and some key parts were sent late and the wrong stuff was sent, despite my instructions of WHAT set-up I had (2.1L in an 84 digijet). I had to buy things like: garage in a box with a floor jack, jack stands, and a creeper. (made in china) I bought wheel chocks, which after years of using 2x4’s, was a great purchase in peace of mind. (plus, they’re small and great for roadside emergencies) I picked up some lumber to help with my meager engine removal equipment. I had to buy a bunch of special tools for the job (ring compressor, oil pump puller, torque wrench, etc.) and I bought a flood light-much needed and a bag of oil-dry for all the inevitable spills. Unfortunately, bus depot and bus boys don’t customize their part kits like clark’s corvair parts did. If they did this, they would save me so much time. Plus, many of their parts kits don't’ even tell you what you are getting. They should supply not just a gasket kit, but a “gotta have” kit, which includes all those misc. items: those special oil pump nuts are an example. (I just sealed mine with some leftover goo) Or those flywheel bolts. You gotta yank the flywheel/torque plate to get to the main seal, AND if you do that, you have to replace these high torque, spendy bolts. I would have enjoyed having these parts ahead of time. There were more....

Bus depot really let me down on the AT gaskets. I ordered two things from them, the AT pan gasket and filter, of which I only received the gasket($7), and the AT gasket kit, which I thought would have everything else for $30. I was still missing the Green, Big O-ring for joining the diff and the AT (which I didn’t deal with) and the filter and associated gasket. I got ripped off, because I had to go out and get the filter and associated somewhere else. I never call the depot to yell at them about this mostly because I had my hands full of work. But in my mind they still owe me at least $10 for the lackings. OH!! Plus, where are the AT cooler o-rings??! Who out there in vanagonland is going to pull the AT, replace all of the gaskets, but not replace the AT cooler gaskets? Your van is 10-21 years old. Gaskets get replaced, or you suffer. Ron, if you read this, put those o-rings in the kits. Sorry to bash the depot, after all, who else can I run to for those prices?

Remember, I just replace the rods, rod bearings, heads, oil pump, water pump, most seals, fuel lines, and such.

I did not replace, or touch for that manner, the splitting of the block/crank/cam/lifters/oil sump.

But, I did perform other jobs which definitely had a effect on the costs and time invested, but they were worth it. These include, heater hoses, heater valve, tranny gaskets and filter, and oil seal (which was leaking).

Total cost of this job for parts, shipping, tools, etc. about $2,260.00. Plus three months of inconvenience, worry, shopping runs for parts, phone calls and grease. The job itself took me about eleven days, but not all of those days were full and I didn't have the RIGHT tool for the various jobs much of the time. An engine stand would have easily saved me 1.5 days alone, not to mention an engine hoist.

Of course when that part of this project was finished, I had virtually no change in my oil pressure story. YIKES!!!! That still is horrible to hear BUT!!!!! I do have an engine with new heads and rings and some bearings, plus all those new parts!!!

I spoke to Boston Bob throughout this whole ordeal. He gave me great support and was THE expert on the wasserboxer, I surely believe. However, he was wrong on the rod theory. My rod bearings were still within the right specs.

I found out a few things as this debacle. My oil pressure relief valve was an aftermarket. I went through some dismay at the thought that this was the problem all along, but the only difference was that the cold starting pressure is now 60ish instead of the previous 80ish psi. The idle pressure might be a 1-2 psi higher, but that’s all.

I spoke to VDO about their dual oil pressure sender finding that it lights my dash light up at 7 psi instead of the 4 psi of the VW sender. If this is correct, then my gauge is off by about 3 psi on the low side. This means nothing (almost), BTW. That did make me feel better about the light, since my pressure could still be in the VW specs.

The last three weeks....... So, I’m broke. I have wasted most of my winter. So, I sent it off to a VW shop for their opinion of the sluggish driving and lower gas mileage I’ve been receiving. They confirmed my gauge accuracy with a +/- 3 or 4 psi, ending my theories that it was my gauge all along that was misleading, but they didn’t really drive the van for as long as I hope for. However, there was an interesting problem: My cat convertor is clogged. Now, one is on the way. But, I’m hoping that the new one will breathe the exhaust a little better, thus cool my heads a little, thus cooling my oil, thus keeping me happy.

Another happy moment was yesterday, my first day highway driving with my 20w-50 oil change, (I was running 10w-40 , new engine break-in reasons) and it made a big difference! I’m running at 65 mph at 30-36 psi, which I believe, is great. And there is no light at idle with the engine hot, even the fan running! Now, I haven’t gone up any passes yet, but I’m happy. With the new cat, I should even be happier! But I am, after all, broke. If the engine throws a rod, I will have to scrap the van, since I cannot even think about trying a transplant. Not to mention the fact that I’m tired!!!!!

The question for those out there with oil pressure light:

Make sure WHAT is causing your light. Electrical?!? .3 bar sensor? (replace it) Oil pressure relief valve spring? (stretch it out .5 inch or so) If your engine cannot keep pressure, your options are do what I did and take a chance. Keep in mind that my engine is suppose to be a VW rebuild from CO with about 70k on it. It was a good bet, I still think I’ll be lucky to get another 20-30k out of it though. That’s the cheapest option - Do-it-yerself for $2300 (much less if you don’t do all the side attractions and / or have all the tools needed). Option 2 is buy a bostonbob block for $2000 and do the work. Lots of shipping costs, but a fine engine. (option 2.5 is a lilley block) There you’re going to get another 80k out of a engine. Option 3 is a conversion. Option 4 is sell your van/ or drive it off a cliff and collect. The latter might involve jail time though. All of these options are close to double the price if you drop it at the mercy of a auto shop. There are great mechanics out there and there are losers. Don’t pay the losers your money. Give the money to those who take pride and guarantee their work. Look at their tools. Good mechanics really take care of their tools, better than themselves sometimes.

Yeah, it’s a book, so what. Some folks enjoy the thorough story.