Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 May 2001 21:50:54 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Subject:      Re: Just a few more questions....(long)
Comments: To: Michael Edwards <mpedwards@lycos.com>

At 08:15 PM 5/4/2001, Michael Edwards wrote: >2) Where can i find the little circuit breaker for the AC elec system >that mounts below the 3prong plug to the left of fridge?

I believe that's a regular US-dimensioned circuit box that the breaker is mounted in -- you can use any breaker that fits having a rating of 250VAC (or more), 15 amps (or less). Push come to shove, one out of a power strip ought to work, though those are commonly 10-amp. The stock one has the advantage that you can shut it off by pulling on the stem, but you can always shut off the juice by unplugging it so that's not a big deal.

If you use one with a toggle handle you'll need a cover or else to make a shield for the handle so it doesn't get hit.

>3) How is the propane filled? I'm hoping that the service station >attendant will know, given the rigorous mental and physical training they >undergo at hiring, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Chances are the attendant has never seen an Autostop valve. So: Close the valve leading to the regulator. Unscrew yellow cap and attach the filling hose. Press red button on left side of valve -- the actual brass button under the vinyl should stay depressed. Open bleed screw on right side of valve all the way. Start filling.

When liquid starts coming through the bleed fitting the valve *should* shut off flow into the tank. Turn off fill, shut bleed screw, vent and remove hose, replace yellow cap.

If your Autostop valve (see picture on my web page) has been replaced or the auto feature disabled, the attendant should know how to deal with the manual setup that remains. The big problem will be that he will expect to pump 10-20 gallons, and the absolute most you can take is three; so you must make sure that he 1) opens the manual bleed *before* he starts pumping, and 2) pays attention so he can shut off the fill as soon as the bleed valve starts to squirt liquid.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"