Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 May 2001 08:44:37 -0700
From:         Bill Kasper <dragonlist@ipmts.ucsc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Restoring/Insulating the Pop-Top

> On Tue, 1 May 2001 07:58:47 -0700 phil stanhope <napszeerf@yahoo.com> > writes: >> I have a pop top that i need to remove all that fuzzy >> fur on the ceiling. Its rotted and turns to dust at >> the touch. I was thinking on removing the whole >> pop-top, then removing this fuzz somehow and >> insulating the ceiling with something. >> >> Anyone ever do this?

i haven't, but am thinking about it. our flocking is messy as hell (still sticks fine, though). but i don't think i would reflock it. the shell on our pickup truck has a carpet-like lining that is both an absorber and a vapor barrier (according to the folks at the shell shop). we slept in the truck bed (me, my wife ali and son alexander) on an extended 2-week vacation two years ago, and while we did get condensation inside on the windows, that was only when we had to keep them cracked due to the rain outside. otherwise it worked as advertised, didn't get moist to the touch, and kept the inside a bit warmer than it would be with nothing on the shell.

'course, it is the repeat of that trip (three weeks this time) coming up this summer that spurred us to get our westfalia. we're not going to do anything at this time about the flocking except for clean it with a mild bleach solution. i'll post to the list when we do the carpet replacement. has anyone done this?

bill '87 syncro westfalia http://www.scruznet.com/~cikasper/pics/westy/