Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 May 2001 11:37:53 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@rcn.com>
Subject:      CV Joint Protectors MAJOR SYNCRO POST
Comments: To: Syncro@onelist.com

There has been some discussion on the list lately about the quality of aftermarket vs. factory-original front CV Joint boot protectors. In this email I will clear up some confusion, provide some analysis of which one to get, and also provide list members with the least expensive method of purchasing either type of protector. I will also discuss the European belt guards, and some other parts further down in this email. A photo comparing the factory original and aftermarket CV Boot protectors is also provided.

As our more attentive syncro owners know by now, the factory introduced the CV Joint boot protector into production in January of 1990 in order to protect the front CV joint boots from rocks, sticks and other road and off-road hazards. The goal is worthy because the front CV Joint boots are very exposed, and I have on many occasions before wondered what could be done to better protect these boots from puncture and tearing. Volkswagen/SDP began installing the protectors as a regular feature of the vehicle in all 16" syncros and the 14" syncros with "heavy duty running gear" so clearly the factory saw a need for them. As far as I know, none of the heavy duty vehicles were sold in North America and so and none of our North American vans had the protectors. In fact, none of us knew much about the CV Joint Boot protectors until about two years ago after Phil Lander started writing about them. Steve Schwenk picked up the thread and there were some excellent initial postings about these last Fall.

More information about these CV joint protectors is on this page of Phil Landers's http://www.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/CV_Boot_Protectors.htm and the factory instructions for fitting them are at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/images/instruct.jpg. I have received many emails from European Syncro owners asking whether we have them here in the USA and are we aware of them. They make so much sense and cost relatively little, that they are becoming something of a rage among syncro owners. Unfortunately, if you go to a VW dealer in North America and try to order a set, you are going to get a "part not found" response and a pat on the back as you walk out the door. So until recently, we have been out of luck if we wanted to add one.

Some enterprising soul in Europe has now begun self manufacturing these CV Joint protectors, and these non-factory versions are similar. You can see a picture of the difference between the OEM flap and the aftermarket flap that I took here: http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/CV_Joint_Protectors_Factory_And_Aftermarket.jpg

If you look closely at the picture, you will see the factory flap on the right, and the aftermarket flap on the left. The points that are noticeable from studying these flaps are that the factory flap has slightly thicker metal that seems more robust, although not by a large margin. The factory flap has smooth rounded metal edges instead of the aftermarket edges which look like they were cut sharply out of a sheet. The factory flap material is more flexible and supple, whereas the aftermarket flap appears to be made from hard rubber cut out of a rubber sheet with an exacto knife or heavy shears. Visually, the factory flap material is much more appealing. Because of the metal thickness issue and the hardness of the flap material which gives the protector less give, I had the impression that under stress the aftermarket protector might have a greater tendency to bend or break but this is only conjecture at this point.

Which protector would a better buy? It is a close call. After thinking about it and comparing the prices ($160 vs. $130 delivered--see below), I will be installing the factory original protector myself. But I think the case is not clear cut, and the aftermarket protector is also a reasonable choice for price-conscious purchasers.

FACTORY PROTECTOR PRICES

Recently (about four weeks ago), a list member offered to supply factory CV joint protectors to us for $250 for the set and another list member is rumored to be selling them for $300 for a set. The best price that is likely to be available for factory protectors at this point for us is about $190 or so, including the shipping expenses from Europe. It was nice to hear that they could at least still be had as there have been supply problems with Europe. That is, people would order them at the VAG dealer in Europe, and then they would not come for extended periods. I ordered an initial set, and there was a four month delay between the arrival of the right side and the left side, for example. More recently, there has been a price increase in Europe so they are getting more expensive. Meanwhile, as some list members are aware, I have developed connections to non-standard sources of syncro parts in Europe. I am able to arrange a list purchase of the factory original protectors at a price of $160 per pair, including all shipping expense, customs duty, and shipping to you within the USA or Canada. This is by far the cheapest price you are likely to be able to find.

AFTERMARKET PROTECTOR PRICES

The aftermarket protectors are available from FLO for a price of $95 plus $45 shipping, according to an email we received from FLO yesterday, which would make the total about $140. Meanwhile, I have three sets of the aftermarket protectors for sale, including local shipping to you in North America, for a price of $130 for each set. The lower price is because I ordered several sets at the same time, and there is a corresponding reduction in the shipping expense. This should be, therefore, close to the lowest price at which you can obtain the aftermarket CV Joint protector.

PRICE ANALYSIS OF THE CHOICE

Given the small difference in price between $160 and $130 I'd lean toward getting the factory protector. But I think spending $130 on the aftermarket protector is also reasonable. Supply issues may make the choice for some, as the supply of the aftermarket protectors is more immediate, at least from me. If you are in a hurry, and you want only the factory protector, and cannot wait to have it, try David Marshall at www.fastforward.ca as he tends to import things like this for his store but you will need to get a separate price him him.

SUPPLY TIMING ESTIMATE TO GET THEM FROM ME

1st three aftermarket protectors: immediate additional aftermarket protectors: 5 weeks 1st six factory original protectors: 5 weeks additional factory original protectors: 3 months

Payment can be by www.paypal.com to derekdrew@rcn.com or via personal check to Derek Drew, 5467 31st Street NW, Washington, DC 20015. If you would like, you can ask me for a timing estimate before sending funds. If you would like to obtain the protectors at these prices ($130 or $160), simply send me payment either by paypal or by mail, and if you like, you can print out this email and send it along.

ANSWER TO AN INSTALLATION ISSUE (Front Axle Nuts)

Bill Davidson asked the list about the issue of the front axle nut for syncro. Thus nut is an "always replace" nut in the manual, which means that every time you take it off (which you do to install the CV Joint boot protector, Bill says) you are supposed to throw it out and put on a brand new. This can get expensive for syncro owners because the price of the nut at the dealer is about $8.

When replacing this nut, it pays to be careful because most aftermarket replacements are only 1/2 the thickness and do not inspire confidence. I would personally not install many of the the aftermarket nuts that come with front outer cv joint boot kits you get from Parts Place ($50) or Bus Depot ($17!!) (same kit from what I could see last time I looked a few years ago). that is, I take a skeptical view of the tiny LOBRO nut that is typically supplied for the front axle, and recommend that Syncro owners use either a factory nut ($8ish each) or order a pile of them from Mr. Metric (1-408-286-8816) as I did ($2.25 each). The Mr. Metric part number is 50416, 20 x 1.5 Allmetal w/collar vendor code 1006, Lot number 507004 from Bossard DIN 980v BN6867. Mr. Metric said I had to order 50 but they only sent me 20.

Most professional mechanics on the list, by the way, don't have time or inclination to be replacing "always replace" items in the manual, and will tell you that they simply re-use the nuts and use loctite on them. The nuts are "always replace" because they are slightly crushed to have a locking action. I am going to use my $2.25 Mr. Metric nuts for awhile since I have them. Later, if I become more of a professional, perhaps I will begin reusing nuts the factory says not to reuse.

============================== END CV JOINT PROTECTOR SECTION ==============================

VISCOUS COUPLINGS

For those of you who have been waiting for the next round of viscous couplings, they are due in a few weeks time. I will make an announcement at that time. I have been looking at the weights that have been installed on these. All the VCs have weights welded on the side to assure a perfect balance and it strikes me that this has more importance than we have previously notified, going by the great lengths the factory seems to have gone to get it right. There are somewhere around 20 different weights, and they are welded at precise locations.

BELT GUARDS

I have also managed to import some of the so-called European-Only "Belt Guards" that were manufactured by VW as extra protection for the belts in the engine compartment from rocks getting wedged up in there. For some reason, they introduced these belt guards in Europe but never seem to have got around to putting them into production for North American Spec vehicles. I put a picture of the belt guards up on the web here: http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/beltguards1.jpg and http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/beltguards2.jpg.

The cost to get a set of the Belt Guards from me (including postage within North America) is $23. These are available elsewhere on the list for $50, according to a quotation I received from another list member offering to sell them for that amount. If ordering with another part, such a the CV Joint protectors, deduct $8 for packing and shipping.

The purpose of both the Belt Guards and the CV joint boot protectors is to decrease the probability your vehicle will need mechanical attention while you are on a long trip by reducing the probability of rock, stick, or abrasion damage coming up from underneath.

16" REAR TRAILING ARMS

To participants in the purchase of 16" rear trailing arms: these are now all in the mail. There is one extra set available to whomever wants it from this purchase that is available so if you think you want one of these, send me an email. The price is $1,250 plus local postage (another vendor on the list quoted me $1,750). They enable mounting of very large tires. There is a picture of them here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syncro-org/files/Wheels,%20Tires%20&%20Gearing/Wheel%20&%20Tire%20Photos/16_Inch_Trailing_Arm.jpg

At this time I believe I am the best source for the following syncro factory parts:

Belt Guards -- $23 http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/beltguards1.jpg , http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/beltguards2.jpg CV Joint Boot Guards -- OEM $160 or aftermarket $130 http://users.rcn.com/derekdrew/CV_Joint_Protectors_Factory_And_Aftermarket.jpg