Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 May 2001 10:17:04 -0400
From:         Dieter Knittel <dieterknittel@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1986GL update

OK, I have disconnected the O2 Sensor and drove up the Hill without any problems, but the Vehicle was still running at around 2000 RPM without a gear in. When I connected the O2 Sensor the RPM increased to aroun 2800 - 3000 RPM and was beginning to jump up and down anywhere from 1800 back up to 3000. I did not at this time Disconnected the Idel Stabelizer Valve too. This time i did not have any Stalling while driving without the Sensor. I also was overlooking the paperwork i received with that van and it had all the repair's to it listed with it.The O2 sensor has been replaced in 12/99........could it be broke already again ? I will list the major replacements below so the list can see what has been replaced so far. 08/12/99 AC Diagnostic Service & Test....refill 1 pound of Freon R12 Mileage 107463 Total $ 97.07

08/30/200......Replace Air Flow meter, replace coolent temp sensor Total$ 353.85 ( recommandation by Tech. needs Idel speed control repl. )

02/24/99 major inspection on Brakes replace all brakes, overhaul cylinders,replace front wheel bearings etc. Total $ 774.13

09/01/99......Replace spark plugs and wire harness, fuel filter,airfilter Total $ 287.00

12/02/99 replace O2 sensor(remarks,found fuel in oil from defective O2 sensor) Toatl $ 211.25

11/08/99......replace odometer,replace new heater level,switch,knob,replace O2 Sensor,headlight adj, install 4 new tires. Total $ 991.34

So as everyone can see, the O2 senso has been Replace at least two times in a short periot of time. The former owner keep pretty good record of his van, even all the oil changes. I listed just part of the Maintance list i have. No my question is ...how often does the O2 sensor needs to be replaced ? It got already replaced 2x in 1 year? Of course the prior owner went to different shops each time, so maybe he just got taken ? Thank you List. Dieter 1986 vanagon GL 2.1 4 speed. Branson ,Missouri