Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2001 11:16:20 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@aol.com>
Subject:      Re: I-4 conversion
Comments: To: kitzmann@exis.net

* million miles! New record.

In my conversion, I mounted the Golf pump/filter module against the body in the area above the transmission - clutch level side. I then placed the vanagon in-line filter in the feed as a precaution against any long term debris coming from the fuel tank formerly carrying diesel fuel. In the initial tests, I several times had long priming run-ons while the golf pump attempted to deliver fuel. I then added a transfer pump (aftermarket - ~ 30 psi) and all fuel related operational problems went away. I have since replaced the in-line fuel filter 8 times (often under stressful conditions - eg. entrance line to BC ferry). Always carry a spare. A couple of years ago, I replaced the loud transfer pump with a stock vanagon fuel pump and mounting from a junker. Piece and quiet. No milage drop from vanagon pump, no problems with the golf/jetta pump/filter module ever. Frequency of in-line filter replacements has gone to 1 per year.

Now, I believe the pressure rating for the vanagon digijet and digifant systems is the same as for the digifant Golf, so it may be just fine. Note also that the filter pack on the golf/jetta package is far more serious than any of the vanagon i-line filters I have encountered.

And to each his own!

Frank Grunthaner