Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2001 16:47:36 -0400
From:         Michael Nichols <msnichols@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Busdepot, Van Again, Chris Turner, our vendors!

Hello from Atlanta, Ga. I have owned my two '81 air cooled vanagons for two years, and have spent several thousand dollars with various vendors that contribute to and also advertise on our list. I have also purchased items from vendors whose satisfied customers spoke their praises on our list. From my perspective, the best vendors are those who are legitimate businesses, have real places of business, and handle business like business should be handled---with professionalism, courtesy and honesty. There can always be a mistake, as in a wrong/transposed part number, wrong shipping address, or substandard part. I have found that every legitimate business on our list has always made an effort to get things right the first time, correct errors, make things right, get things straightened out with a minimum of hassle to me or them. Why is this? They are in business and wish to stay in business! Hats off to Van Again, BusDepot, AATransaxle, BusBoys, Rocky Mountain Mtr. Works and Malahat Auto Salvage in Victoria, B.C. They have all been pleasant, professional vendors with whom I will do repeat business. Malahat has good quality used parts at good prices, accurate descriptions of condition and shipping costs, and no double-talk.

Now, what about Mr. Turner, an obvious omission on my part from the above list of good vendors? I have not yet successfully completed any transactions with him, although I have tried on three separate occasions. Is he a vendor? I see his many almost daily ads on the list for things to sell, some with prices, most without prices. After many attempts to buy a set of floor mats from him--email and phone calls--he informed me that he was not a business, did not sell parts for a living/profit, and selling parts on the list and at various VW shows was only a hobby. Whether the IRS considers him a hobby or a legitimate for-profit enterprise is not my concern.....

The list gives us all an opportunity to buy and sell Vanagon items. It allows us to reach a large audience with our questions, answers, stories of interest, great van sagas---Phaedra's Mexico, Tierra del Fuego trip, Syncro reports from Cairo and the Sinai, Wasserboxer tales of horror....

It also allows those amongst us to avoid trips to the salvage yards on our days off by buying items from folks who go to salvage yards, pull parts, and resell them on the list. These "pickers', as they are called in the antique business, are the backbone of the antique trade. They find the deals, and sell them to the shops. They are very independent by nature, frequently have an abundance of information about items they have for sale, and usually do not have a legitimate business set up. They can be rather temperamental in their business dealings because they fill an important niche in the "supply food chain" that gives them a great deal of latitude---things a real business would not get away with for long before going out of business altogether.

To all those listmembers who have had successful business dealings with Chris Turner: Bravo!

Regards,

Michael S. Nichols