Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2001 19:24:00 -0400
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: more feed back on Chris.....  (was avoid ranger brian)
Comments: To: Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@hotmail.com>

At 08:52 AM 5/8/01 -0700, Brian Cochran wrote:

>Mr. Walters, I have a grip. I wonder about you spending so much time on >giving me info I don't want. I had a bad experience and I want others to >know about. I have that right. Courtesy should accompany list dealings, >since there are not any of the ebay rules of protection. I did not >receive courtesy. I didn't even receive all that I paid for. What do say >to that? I had numerous "talks" with chris, asking about where my order >was, when it was coming, etc. NUMEROUS. I'm tired. I don't feel this >much work should go into anything. And yes, I'm posting this on the list. > >Sincerely, > >Brian Cochran

Okay, to those clamoring for some stirring commentary, I will say something at the risk of another suspension. : ) My personal thoughts on the Cochran-Turner thread?

A victory for U.S. Const. Amend I ! That's what my distinguished colleague would say. Long live the First Amendment right insisted upon by the founding fathers. You can thank them for this list, too. Yeah right, you say? Does anyone have any idea of the magnitude of the power of freedom of speech?? Think about it for one minute -- one full minute of being forced to keep your mouth shut.

But this thread is interesting to me because it presents an interesting case microstudy in popular attitudes. The thread seems to have taken on a sort of popularity contest with its goal of defeating the negativism by overpowering it with what my old Juvenile Judge would have said is "nicey-nice" talk. Alas, all the good comments in the world still cannot undo the wrong, if true. Like the sting of the arrow into the heart once released from the mighty bowstring, the pain of misdeeds or untruth does not soon fade away. Just some thoughts.

It matters not who is right or wrong in this thread -- what matters is to put the community on notice. In the end, each must act on his or her own best interest. I make no judgments. Notice (warning or cause to investigate further) is derived clearly from free speech. Without it, we are all in peril.

Suffice to say that this thread, though born of negativity, will produce a greater good. Why? ALL parties on the list will be more careful in their transactions.

Until it happens again . . .

But then history teaches us that man learns nothing from history. It will repeat. It is inevitable.

horace