Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2001 21:45:22 -0400
From:         Bradley Flubacher <flubach@home.com>
Subject:      1.6L NA diesel "rebuild?"
Comments: To: Diesel <diesel@vwfans.com>

I have a 1.6L NA diesel engine that I bought from a local salvage yard. The engine had a known history (I know the last owner well), so I figured I'd go for it.

After pulling the head, I notice a lot of grit and dust in the cylinders. The valves aren't exactly clean either. It looks like maybe some oxidation occured? I could be wrong about that.

My thought was to pull the pistons and have "the glaze broken" in each cylinder to restore the cross-hatch pattern of a clean bore. I'm reading an engine builder book. They recommend to have any ridges reamed out before removing the pistons so you dont damage them. Is this necessary or is there a "work around"? I'm not even sure that the ridges are that bad at all on this engine. I must theroughly clean the block assembly and I'll know better.

Must I remove the crank shaft to do all this safely? I'm afraid to disturb the main bearings. If I were to remove the crank shaft, would it need to be machined before mating it with new bearing surfaces? Or maybe the main bearing could be reused? It seems sometimes it's smart to simply reuse parts if it would require a great deal of additional work to make every mesh well mechanically.

I read about the cam bearings as well. They mention that cam bearing must be very precisely machined. When I read this, it makes me think I should either have the head professionally rebuilt or just leave it alone after a therough cleaning.

I am thinking it might be helpful if I could provide various photos that might help visualize this project.

The book I am reading is more geared to large V-6/V-8 engines, so I'm not exactly sure how applicable everything I'm reading might be.

Thanks,

Bradley Flubacher State College, PA '82 VW diesel westy '84 GL wasserboxer