Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 May 2001 20:59:48 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@home.com>
Subject:      Re: RPM's - diesels

There are two 4 speed transmissions for USA market diesel Vanagons.

DM has 5.43:1 ring/pinion ratio. 55 MPH = 3296 RPM, 60 MPH = 3596 RPM DZ has 5.86:1 ring/pinion ratio. 55 MPH = 3557 RPM, 60 MPH = 3881 RPM This is with the stock 185R14 tires.

I prefer to cruise at 3000-3300 RPM, so 55 would be right in my comfort zone with the DM transmission. The red lines on your speedometer are approx 4100 RPM for their respective gears. It is possible to install a VW diesel tach in the dash cluster, but you need to piece it together from combinations of parts from both gas and diesel models.

Mike Snow